Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectapples and cucumbers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9385
9385, apples and cucumbers
Posted by jsmooth995, Tue Feb-05-02 09:46 AM
>You held up Bob Marley as
>an individual that who's heritage
>is mixed..but is still considered
>black. That's why he's
>your example. You didn't
>call the name of certain
>black people, like an Alex
>Wek, for a reason.

"You say apples taste good, and you cite the Red Delicious as an example. I notice you didn't mention the cucumber, and that's for a reason."

Uhh, yeah, and the reason is we're talking about apples, so cucumbers are irrelevant.

I didn't mention Alex Wek because I am trying clarify your perception of people who have one Black parent and one non-Black. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Alex Wek falls into that category. So I can't use her as an example, because she is not an example.

>Bob Marley is a man of
>African descent who aligned himself
>politically, socially, and culturally with
>the politics of nonmixed African
>people DESPITE being racially mixed.
>Similar to an Adam Clayton
>Powell, who could be seen
>as white, but aligned himself
>with blacks. We all
>know what black means &
>yeah the reason we're called
>that is because that blackness
>is manifested PHYSICALLY. If
>we looked like Britney Spears
>then we wouldn't be black.

Evidently you are never going to give a straight answer on whether you consider Bob Marley to be Black. But regardless...

If you are saying the sole measure of blackness is physical appearance, then most mixed children are undoubtedly Black, just as you yourself said 85% of Black people are mixed to some extent. According to this standard your original statement that mixed couples don't have Black children is false, which is what I was getting at.

>Read what I say very carefully:
>The product of mixed race relations
>in South African are a
>buffer class btwn the whites
>and nonmixed blacks...
> ...............
>Historically, in America, the black community
>has been similarly (though not
>legally) divided with exceptions here
>& there but the general
>principle is true. Its
>no question that a color
>caste still exists within the
>black community and will continue
>as long as we live
>in a white dominated society...
>.................

We all agree that these problems exist. You are just unclear when it comes to differentiating between cause and effect.

People of mixed background are placed into an unhealthy position by the color caste system. Non-mixed Black people are placed into an equally unhealthy position by the color caste system. Is this problem caused by the existence of mixed people? Is it caused by the existence of Black people? Or is it caused by the existence of the color caste system?

Jay Smooth
WBAI 99.5 FM in NY
http://www.hiphopmusic.com

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer S.