Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: so in your experience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9229&mesg_id=9273
9273, RE: so in your experience
Posted by M2, Sun Feb-03-02 08:49 PM
>ppl who were told to wait
>ended up think sex was
>dirty and wrong
>i.e. repressed?

It's not at all uncommon...particularly when the reasons for "saving yourself" are religious in nature. Abstinance is taught more along the lines of Abstinance from "sin" as oppose to abstinance from Sex. Carnal desires are presented as a sinful things one most control until they're married.

See the problem? Sex is taught as something that's bad and sinful, so even if the person gets married and starts having sex....it was still presented as something "dirty & wrong"...the only difference is that they're allowed to do it because they're married.

>do u think it is more
>or less likely for u
>to get AIDS if u
>abstain from sex until marriage?
> or do u think
>it is equally as likely?
>
>
>is being sexually repressed better or
>worse than having AIDS?

Any type of repression is better then death, that's as obvious as saying 2 + 2 = 4.

Considering that Car Accidents will kill more people then AIDS, I should sell my car and move within walking distance of my job.

Life is fraught with Risks, but that doesn't mean that people retreat into ideological bunkers and only live ONE way and one way only.....especially since that one way doesn't evicerate the risk....marriage won't neccessarily elminate risk since married people cheat, one spouse can lie about their sexual history, etc.

Marriage may reduce the risk but it won't eliminate it.

In any event, I'm not talking about Abstinance vs. non-abstinance, I'm talking about people to make intelligent decisions, not enforcing a singular way of approaching a subject for all people.

>can u indulge me in a
>bit of role-playing and pretend
>i am a wide-eyed 16
>yr old has fed on
>lots of meat and dairy.
>ok i'm joking about the
>meat and dairy part, but
>please give me some examples
>of some rational intelligent decisions
>i should make when it
>comes to sex. i mean
>what would u say exactly.

Age isn't the issue (At least not in this case), in so much as people should have sex when they feel emotitionally ready to do so, take the proper precautions and are having sex with someone they feel they can entrust their safety to.

That's should be the basic rule for anyone who has the emotionally and physical maturity to make the decision regarding whether or not they should have sex.

Peace,

M2