Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i'm not convinced
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9229&mesg_id=9263
9263, RE: i'm not convinced
Posted by lidawg, Fri Feb-01-02 09:19 AM
'Sup y'all?
I know that I'm kinda late in adding to the discussion but I wanted to make a few points.

1) I think that this rite of passage sounds like a creative idea that encompasses utilizing one's culture as a means of teaching lessons. I won't put labels on the types of lessons cuz then my argument might be viewed as judgmental.

2) I'm curious also to know what you mean by recognition of sexually repressed adults? Did you recognize their sexual repression through interactions (sexual or nonsexual)? Was there a particular form(s) of behavior?

3) Michael Eric Dyson, who I admit I oftentimes criticize for his commentary, offers an interesting discourse concerning the teaching of sexual education within the Black church. As was pointed out earlier, many Christian social institutions propose that abstinence should be the only form of sexual education offered. However, Dyson argues that if discourse on sexual education was more realistic (e.g. dealing with the fact that AfAms in particular are having sexual encounters earlier despite involvement in church and other social institutions), than it should be combined with learning about appropriate contraceptives and usage and looking at why adolescents/teenagers as well as adults want to have sex besides hormonal urges. Therefore, as kemetian asked, I'm curious to know what viable alternatives have others seen that have been efficacious? Also, even what creative ideas others have in regards to sex education among groups of color?

Hmmm...I wonder if I pontificated too much?

peace and blessings!
lidawg

"u never know, u might be closer to the truth than u think. people wear their stories on their backs. u just have to know how to read them.--LexM

"Man, use shuffle cuz sometimes a cd's playlist can fk up a cd"--me

"Man was born free and is everywhere in chains."--Rousseau