Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: we r looking at it differently
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9229&mesg_id=9252
9252, RE: we r looking at it differently
Posted by Federisco, Sat Feb-02-02 04:44 AM
>as opposed to u r seing it the wrong way ;-)

:) thank you

>u r right this tradition probably
>developed over a long period
>of time AND it worked
>back then AND it would
>work now (to curb the
>spread of AIDS in addition
>to all of the other
>benefits). THIS is y i
>think it can be adopted/adapted.
>now i don't think u
>can just take a baobab
>plant from Senegal and plop
>it down in my backyard
>and expect it to grow.
>necessarily there will be modifications,

Yes.. i see where you come from now, that was more what i wanted to hear. And yes, the devils advocate looks at it differently from you. The devils advocate isnt me thou, the devils advocate is what i think someone should say (to start a healthy discussion!)

The modifications are very important, then, because what you choose to modify is what makes it work well or not work at all. so.. how do you think it should be done? Try to make it work inside the system in usa, or try to start an underground movement?

is it only for afros then, since like i think you said.. methodes made for europeans shouldnt be tried used at africans. (Turning it the other way around)

>but as i c it,
>there is an arrogance, particularly
>among americans, that prevents them
>from looking at other cultures
>to solve their problems.

Europeans as well, more from some cultures/countries and less from others

> it's y i go
>to an Asian herbalist for
>a check up over your
>typical physician.

..actually, althou i do use european medicine (exczema), ive lived my whole life in a family which is very aware of health, and not the latest modern "health" but traditional norwegian and for example trad. japanese (not compared to the asian herbalist but to the next norwegian/european)

>Europeans don't have
>a very long medical history,
>they haven't had much time
>to refine their methods of
>healing AND the results, to
>me anyway, do not convince
>me that their methods work
>better than than the ones
>that have been around for
>a millennium or 2.

True... Doctors also know very little about what they recomend, and their treatment methodes are very often "fastmedicine".. the whole system is "fasttreatment" doctored to fit the world of massproduction - it is very often not only made with the body in mind, but also with the capitalism/industrialization in mind

-•-•- ••-• • -•• • •-•-•- •-•-•

"And finding out how Americans see the world is the scariest shit ever.... I swear, some of y'all really need to travel." - tohunga

"I was walkin towards this kat and I stumbled a lil bit but he caught me and I told him I’d send him a postcard from that trip." - Ts_Aura9