Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNot to sound Daft......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9229&mesg_id=9246
9246, Not to sound Daft......
Posted by M2, Wed Jan-30-02 06:42 AM

Or even disrespect these people's traditions...

But considering none of us live in Ghana and we have an AIDS problem right here in America.....

.....and with respect to developing a solution that is adaptable to multiple cultures and people.......

....wouldn't it be a better idea to teach young MEN and WOMEN to love their bodies, not let people disrespect their bodies, teach them about sex with respect to the physical act and how to deal with on an emotional level, teach them to be comfortable with sex, teach them about sexually transmitted diseases and how to make intelligent, rational decisions about sex and potential sex partners?

I have no problems with people teaching their kids abstinance, but (In my experience) that usually leads to sexually repressed adults who have little knowledge about sex itself, diseases, birth control methods (Important to married couples), and how to make intelligent decisions about sex and partners.

When you've known women who've gotten HIV and other SDS from their Husbands, women who "waited" for marriage, but weren't equipped with the information to make intelligent choices about sex....you get jaded.

I like the sound Dipo, but it seems to leave out key information (to me) that could bit the child in the ass later on in life...

Waiting until you're ready to have sex with the right person, is 10000x more important (IMHO), then merely waiting for marriage to protect the dignity of the family.

Just my opinion......

Peace,

M2