Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: QUESTIONS.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9205&mesg_id=9213
9213, RE: QUESTIONS.
Posted by M2, Sun Feb-24-02 11:11 PM

>Well, I've already told you all
>in previous posts that I
>am unconventional, with unpermed hair,
>and my wardrobe is 1/2
>African, 1/2 European, approximately. I'm
>a woman. So. To the
>financial world, or like when
>I would walk in to
>buy a car, or search
>for a mortgage broker, other
>than wearing a European suit,
>how could my appearance, which
>is Africentric by the virtue
>of my coiled hair alone,
>be arranged in an acceptable
>way to get what I
>want/deserve/is my right?

Not to sound Daft, but what in the world do your clothes/hair style/afrikaness have to do with the amount of money you have in the Bank?

Or your credit rating?

Or your knowledge of financial matters?

Or your ability to manage your money?

You sound like you're trying to talk yourself into thinking that your financial situation is determined by your appearence/identity. It can be influenced or shaped, yes....but in the end, the lionshare of the "influence" is determined by what you do with your money....not your hairstyle.

Getting what you deserve from a Bank is a function of your financial situation (What determines what you deserve) and making sure that you work with people who will interpret that information accurrately.

What you're really discussing, is tactics one could use to avoid discrimination, a separate issue from managing one's finances.

>>>Yes, Blacks have "general" financial issues,
>>but when dealing with YOUR
>>money, those aggregate issues have
>>no relevance. Your racial identity
>>and financial situation....although sometimes related,
>>are not wrapped up in
>>each other.
>
>Hmmmm. How could the two be
>separated from one another in
>such a way that the
>former no longer continues to
>hinder the latter?

A situation is a situation, it's unique to you, it's personal. The financial problems of Black people in Atlanta have nothing to do with me, hell I don't even know any Black people who live in Atlanta.....how can their issues affect me and my decisions?

Doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, a financial decision is made based on your own personal financial situation.....race can have *some* affect, but you don't make "Black Financial Decisions" you make green ones.

Again, see my response to your first question.....AND I feel that is more of a question of tactics to avoid discrimination.

Here is the thing: If you're making a series of financial decisions, the fact that you're a Jewish Millionaire, a Wasp Billionaire or a Black Family making 50k/year....your basic decisions and objectives won't differ that much....your options simply change.....as dictated by your financial situation.

>>> Blacks have less,
>>so when the loan granter
>>says they have bad credit
>>and charges them a higher
>>rate, denies them, etc, etc...they
>>take it at face value.
>
>But how can we gain confidence
>to the point of challenging
>loan officers, when we are
>not armed with the knowledge
>of what to challenge them
>ON?

Okay, but what does this have to do with being Black? It has more to do with knowing the loan system, understanding the value of a good credit rating, knowing how to maintain a good credit rating and simply not believing that you have to accept what the bank gives you.

See, most White people don't know much more then Black people do, they simply challenge the decision.....yes, they get discriminated against less...but they still are more prone to challenge and/or shop around.

Again, avoiding discrimination is a tactical discussion....not a discussion related to financial management.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to alter my financial planning based on the decision of a racist loan officer....

>>>I will say that the advantage
>>Whites have with respect to
>>"understanding" credit, is simply understanding
>>the value of protecting it.
>
>Okay...
>
>
>>>Step 4. Read this: http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2823&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#6
>
>
>Just tell me the title of
>this thread and I'll search
>for it in the Archives.
>The Olympics Update keeps coming
>up when I try to
>click on it here.

It's called "Black Economics"

Peace,

M2