Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectKMT
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9125&mesg_id=9196
9196, KMT
Posted by Solarus, Thu Feb-21-02 06:18 AM
Akwaaba

KMT is a land of wonders and even today we still benefit from its teaching. Pedagogy is also an area that KMT offers one of its greatest lessons.

From SBA: The Reawakening of the AFrican Mind by Asa Hilliard, III

The first teaching of Ptahhotep is a message about pedagogy. It speaks to the matter of arrogance as an impediment to wise perception. The lowly maid at the grindstone, the woman in poverty, may be richer in godd speech (mdw nfr) than one who possesses much information or knowledge. The learner/listener is told to consult with both the ignorant and the wise, for two reasons. On the one hand, the person who may not have specific information may well be the source of good speech. On the other hand,even the most informed and insightful heare/listener will never reach the limits of her specialty and may grow by listening to anyone--including those who are less informed. Thus, Ptahhotep teaches teachers and lerner/listeners to do the following.

1.Subdue pride, which blinds or clouds perception. (PReventative.)
2. Subdue arrogance, which also blinds or clouds perception. (Preventative.)
3. Aspire to perfection. (Corrective, creative.)
4. Be open to all. (Corrective, creative.)

In the next three teachings, Ptahhotep calls for self control. He suggests that self control is essential even in the face of provocation from superiors, equals or those who have less power. He counsels silence in the face of foolish conflicet. The superior, equal, or one with less power who "spouts ISfet" (evile or disordered speech) will expose herself. There is no need to confront them--not even to satisfy one's passion or ego needs.

In teaching number 12, Ptahhotep says that a wise man will raise a child who is pleasing to God, just as Ptahhotep himself live and teaches to please God. In this teaching, Ptahhotep also offers advice on discipline, both preventative and corrective.

1. Provide for the hearer/listener.
2/ Love your "son" )student).
3. Punish disobedience.
4. Punish Isfet (disordered or bad speech).

Ptahhotep tells us not to be impulsive. He says that we must study before speaking. Speak only when you know something. Be gentle and non-provocative in your speech. Above all, speak MAAT (Truth). To recapitulate, Ptahhotep suggests that people should:
1. Be deliberate and thoughtful, reflecive.
2. KNOW FIRST, THEN SPEAK.
3. Unse non-provocative speech.
4. Speak MAAT (Truth).

Ptahhotep praises intrinsic motivation. "Do not disturb a great man or distract his attention when he is occupied, trying to understand his task. When he is thus occupied, he strips his body through the love of what he does. Love for the work they do brings men closer to God". Surely a good teacher wil try to engage a learner/listener in work that is compelling to the learner/listener. THis eliminate the need for coercive "displine."

In the final sumary, after all of the 37 teachings have been presented, Ptahhotep makes some of his most profound points. He again stresses that a person should be taught to "teach to posterity." When taught to posterity, hearers/listeners who hear the teachings will become master hearers." THen hearer/listeners who hear the teachings will become "master hearers." Think of it: the criterion for master hearer is the understanding of the message beyond the obvious, the temporal, the trivial. The master hearer perceives the message that speaks to posterity! So both the earlier aim of speaking to posterity, and hearing that special message, a fifth aim, are aims of education.

For more on Ptahhotep:

Teachings of Ptahhotep

SE wo werE fi na wosankofa a yenkyi.

Akoneaba ne agoro
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.