Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMwalimu Yaa Baruti
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9125&mesg_id=9180
9180, Mwalimu Yaa Baruti
Posted by Solarus, Thu Feb-14-02 06:04 AM
Akwaaba

I can't forget about her. She is the sacred companion of Mwalimu Bomani Baruti. She was my all-time favorite teacher when I was at Morehouse College. I had her for World Literature and at the time knew her as Prof. Linda Lloyd-Crawford. In her class (which was all male) allowed us to discuss the literature and show us the utmost respect and effectively shut any of us down who would discuss respect her. Being that we discussed many heavily mysogynistic or at the least patriarchal works with young men who thought they knew everything , she showed her strength as an Afrikan woman and SHUT US DOWN without YELLING!

I soon realized that she is the FUEL and GUIDE to Mwalimu Bomani Baruti's FIRE!

SE wo werE fi na wosankofa a yenkyi.

Akoneaba ne agoro
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.