Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMwalimu Bomani Baruti
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9125&mesg_id=9179
9179, Mwalimu Bomani Baruti
Posted by Solarus, Tue Feb-12-02 06:23 AM
Akwaaba

Larry D. Crawford (known known as Mwalimu Bomani Baruti) was an Assistant Professor of Sociology at Morehouse College from 1991-1999, and has been recognized for his dedication to students and community alike. He served as the advisor to numerous student organizations at Morehouse College as well as other institutions in the Atlanta University Center. Currently, Baruti along with his wife Yaa Baruti, founded an Afrikan-centered institution, that operates from their home.

I first heard the brother speak at the Morehouse's 1996 Freshman orientation. It was amazing to see the energy and strength contained within the short brown-skinned brother with glasses, dressed in all black was he talked about Afrikan manhood. Unfortunately, the general Morehouse administration is controlled by non-Afrikans and Baruti's message of Afrikan manhood eventually became too much for them to bear thus leading to his dismissal.

Also unfortunately I never had the chance to take the mandatory course that he taught while at Morehouse, called "Men in Society," but I eventually came to know him in my later years at Morehouse until now. I can definitely say that speaking to him is always an enlightening experience and motivating!

He is currently working on a three book series on Afrikan manhood. The first book of the series is in the end of its editorial phase and should be out by the summer.

SE wo werE fi na wosankofa a yenkyi.

Akoneaba ne agoro
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.