Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: OkayBlackOurstoryMonth 2002
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9125&mesg_id=9154
9154, RE: OkayBlackOurstoryMonth 2002
Posted by sistasoul, Fri Feb-01-02 02:12 PM
Marcus Moziah Garvey was born in St. Ann's Bay, Jamaica, on Aug. 17, 1887, the youngest of 11 children of Sarah and Marcus Garvey. He attended local schools and at 14 became a printer's apprentice.

Garvey became devoted to improving conditions for black workers. In 1907 he led a printer's strike in Kingston, Jamaica. Later he toured Central America and South America to organize plantation laborers. In 1912 he went to London, England, where he met blacks from many nations and became fascinated by African history and culture.
Returning to Jamaica in 1914, Garvey established the Universal Negro Improvement and Conservation Association and African Communities League, usually called the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA). Its goals included the promotion of black solidarity, with a special concern for the welfare of African blacks. But the UNIA met apathy from black workers as well as active opposition from the lighter-skinned middle class who did not wish to be identified as blacks. Hoping for support in the United States, Garvey established a branch of the UNIA in New York City in 1917. He taught that blacks would be respected only when they were economically strong, and to that end he founded a newspaper, Negro World, as well as other black-owned businesses such as the Black Star Line, a steamship company. Garvey pledged to establish in Africa a black-governed nation.
With his rallying cry "Up you mighty race, you can accomplish what you will!" Garvey attracted thousands of black supporters.
He set a passionate example of "a proud black man, honored to be a black man, who would be nothing else in God's creation but a black man." But after 1920 he gradually declined as a popular leader. He was criticized as being a bombastic demagogue or at best a naive dreamer. Garvey-ites were refused permission to settle in the African state of Liberia. The Black Star Line failed from mismanagement, and Garvey was convicted of mail fraud and imprisoned in 1925.
Garvey was released from prison in 1927 but was deported to Jamaica. He worked both there and in London with some success to rekindle interest in the UNIA. A symbol of the determination of blacks to win respect and recognition, he said of himself, "I am only the forerunner of an awakened Africa that shall never go back to sleep."
Marcus Garvey died in London on June 10, 1940. In 1964 he was named Jamaica's first national hero and was reburied there.

*Thanks again to Solarus for starting this post. On a sidenote: I teach pre-school age kids, and I was trying to think of something fun and entertaining, yet educational that they could do for Black History month. So far, I haven't come up with too much. Except, i'm taking them to see an African dance troupe, but thats about it, and I had to BEG for that. I really want them to learn about the inumerable contributions that Africans have made to the world in which they live. But then again, they are only 4 and 5, so I have to make it fun. ANY suggestions at all would be so greatly appreciated :)

much love