Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: During Slave Times...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9033&mesg_id=9084
9084, RE: During Slave Times...
Posted by Expertise, Wed Mar-06-02 10:30 AM
maybe not during slavery, but once slavery was out black people were marrying, and were joining together in families. There have been plenty of stories where slaves from different plantations found each other after emancipation and then moved together for another life. A prime example of this was Booker Washington, who's real mother got together with a man from a nearby plantation and moved to West Virginia.

Maybe broken families are a fixture in your family, but I know they aren't for mine and for folks I knew growing up and even today, and distant census reports would say the same as well. Starting in the 70's, a majority of black men remained single, and only until the late 60's was there a majority of children born unto single parents. Common knowledge would attest to this, because I know for the longest in the South, where most blacks have and continue to live, that didn't fly. If you got someone pregnant, you had better married the girl. Most of the time if it was a single parent family, it was because one of the parents had died, most likely the man.

To think that black people stayed single through American history after Emancipation is very unrealistic, considering the tightly held values in American society pre-1950's. Blacks did indeed assimilate alot of the values and beliefs that affect us even today, which is why Christianity is a stronghold within the black community even today. Most everyone I know had connections to the black church, hence it's not unrealistic to think that would help to mend the family bonds that were broken by slavery.