Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Just proves my point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9033&mesg_id=9067
9067, RE: Just proves my point
Posted by M2, Thu Mar-07-02 03:48 PM
>>I grew up in White Suburban
>>communities where you'd have maybe
>>ONE kid at the local
>>high school with a baby,
>>how many Black communities can
>>say that?
>>
>>PLUS, there seems to be a
>>general trend in White people
>>being more likely to engage
>>in Oral sex, which supposedly
>>doesn't transmitt the disease/isn't as
>>likely to...because stomach acid kills
>>the virus before it can
>>be transmitted....couldn't that be a
>>factor?
>
>or Abortion, just you didn't see
>it don't mean it didn't
>exist.

Change your thinking, one doesn't have to be like the other. Just because white communities aren't having as many teenage pregnancies doesn't mean they're hiding them. You're basically assuming that these white communities HAVE to be like the Black ones.

Quick thoughts:

I'm 26 and don't have any children, something that a lot of my friends from High School and college don't find strange. However, a lot of my lower income Black friends and family, and lower income White friends DO find it odd, especially since I've more or less been involved with someone over the last 8 years or so.

It's called expectations, one group expects that they'll eventually have kids or that "it's life", while the other puts a VERY high priority on making sure they don't have kids out of wedlock.

I went to high school with quite a few girls who were on the pill, when it came to sex, getting pregnant was the #1 reason offered for not doing it, (Disease was second) so even she was on the pill, condoms were often still used. I have a friend who has been sexually active since he was 15 (Also 26) never done it "bareback" even though the only two girls he slept with was on the pill. His experience is not uncommon, people are afraid of pregnancy before they think they're ready.

Planned Parenthood: It's a Standard Operating Procedure amongst a lot of the people I grew up around and went to college with. If a girl becomes very sexually active with a boyfriend or is just promiscuos, she goes to PP to get on the pill, get a Diaphram, get a depo shot, even in high school (My high school discretely provided the information).

It's a different environment when it comes to safe sex and pregnancy.....of course this is more true with middle class white communities then Blue Collar/Low Income ones.

As for abortions....in a small community, it's hard to keep things secret and a lot of girls can't get them as teens, and like I said, in that different environment, it's all that neccessary.

>>
>>How about better health and sex
>>education?
>
>Your right, unfortunately I have yet
>to see a PlanParenthood in
>a black community. And considering
>'inner city' schools are at
>the bottom of the barrel
>(inChicago)I guess "inner city" kids
>aren't getting the needed education.

I'm in 100% agreement with you. When I was in high school my girlfriend and I just went down there after school and she was able to get the Birth Control pill, no muss no fuss.

How many Inner city kids have that option?

How many of them fear pregnancy like middle class kids do?

I've never heard of inner city kids hiding their pregnancies, or killing their babies because they're afraid of their parents finding out.

>>
>>How about the fact that disease
>>transmission occurs exponentially, so all
>>it takes is one factor
>>to cause it transmitt faster
>>in one group then another
>>and BOOM one group has
>>a much higher rate.
>>
>Okay so your saying the black
>community are full of hoes?
>In that case what is
>to come of the white
>community considering interacial dating, and
>seeing that AIDS was first
>found to be heavy in
>the white gay male circle,
>how is it that in
>less than 10 years the
>shit suddenly flipped?

Who said anything about promiscuity? Even with a lower level of sexually activity then Whites, ONE factor that is going to promote aids transmission in the Black community can cause much higher rates.

Interracial dating is still a small % of all relationships, and when it happens it occurs between people of similar socio-economic backgrounds. So a Black Youth (Like me) who grows up in a White Suburban community, is going to benefit from the education and resources available as well as being influenced by that community's attitudes on sex and pregnancy.

PLUS, how many Blacks from poor Black communities (The ones I assume you're referring to) date White Women? How many of those White Women sleep with these guys and don't engage in safe sex?

The White Gay Male community was the primary focus of a lot of the education towards preventing the spread of aids and was the community with the greatest amount of vigilance aimed towards preventing its spread. On top of that, other communities who weren't educated about its spread, were operating under the assumption that it was a "Gay Disease".

Nothing suddenly flipped, it was a gradual change, people just noticed because they thought it was a "Gay Thing" AIDS has been rising amongst Heterosexual communities for some time.

Peace,

M2