Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: strong statement.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9033&mesg_id=9057
9057, RE: strong statement.
Posted by Cre8, Thu Mar-07-02 02:27 PM
Throughout my search for black women that felt connected with the 60's feminist movement, I found none.

Many black feminist felt as if the feminist movement was not supportive or representive of them.

(i.e) Taking from a college web site. I'll find the site later)
hooks argues that liberal feminists, who have tended to be white, middle-class, college educated women have excluded women unlike themselves from participation in feminist movement.
hooks particularly faults liberal feminists for insisting on a "common oppression" among women, and she argues that this has explicitly excluded black women from participating in feminist movement. Hooks believes that if black and other non-white women and poor women were to develop a feminist political movement, that movement would "look" quite different from the one developed by white, middle-class women.

and

Revolution enables women's struggle for gender equality
The urge to unify has produced fragmentation as black feminists and feminists from the third world have criticised universalistic theories that could not account for culturally specific experiences of gender.
Black feminists argued that much of gender theory was ethnocentric in that it failed to take account of the importance of racism in the experience of black women. If the exploitation of gender was perpetuated by both black and white men, the oppression of racism was similarly inflicted by both white men and women.
There were also differences in strategies and emphasis. Women in the western world fought for access to contraceptives while many poor women in the third world were faced with western funded population control programmes that sought to force birth control methods on them.

and heres a site that pretty much repeats the same message of the feminist movements unwant for black women.
http://www.pregnantpause.org/racism/whatcha.htm

and if feminist movements aren't white dominated and not representive of other ethnicities then why do blacks, latinos and asians feel the need to create their own groups.