Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectnot to post jack
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9033&mesg_id=9034
9034, not to post jack
Posted by ellehcor, Tue Mar-05-02 08:06 PM
i don't think this mentality is limited to the black community in america. as long as any society is structured as a patriarchy, sons will be raised to some extent as family, while daughters will be raised to be married off to another family. in this context, most would be willing to allow for more excuses for the boys. i realize this is somewhat of an overgeneralization, and someone will come up with a contrasting example. however, this is my perception when looking at the world at large--and also i need some more time to think about this before posting further.

the title of the post reminds me of this documentary i saw on chinese women's lives after the revolution. it was titled "a small happiness," because as the narrator points out, when a boy is born, it is a big happiness...when a girl is born, it is a small happiness. with all issues with the state of women's rights in china aside, how often is this true in other societies, even here in the US?

"leadership...is only incidental to the movement." -philip vera cruz