Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectunrest in retrospect.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8992
8992, unrest in retrospect.
Posted by praverbs, Mon Feb-25-02 10:56 PM
it's been almost 10 years.

april 29th, '92, flo and norm met through a mutual friend: malcontent. the first two had been living admist each other as victims of displaced violence for years, waitin for the wild card third party to mediate their grievances.

florence and norman are relative insignificants, however. the two could've been 'ness and vernon, fig and gage, chester and vermont. the introductory agent is the key player in this case.

southcent has been angry. y'all know this, though. y'all know cuz and y'all know blood. y'all know niggas had attitudes. since 4/1992, y'all've known that southcent's hot temper literally gets escee heated (you should've recognized in 5/1965).

but y'all ain't understood why. maybe that's on us. perhaps killing the messenger would be justifiable homicide.

the 1992 riots were NOT random. those who paid attention to the pregnant silences between our well publicized expletives heard the shatter of the first thrown malotav cocktail years before it exploded against the walls of the l-i-q in dramatic irony.

the 1992 riots were NOT a three day temper tantrum. many (admittedly not all) of the buildings burned down were neighborhood nuisances: known ho tracks for pedigreed prostitutes and their equestrian pi's, licensed vendors of five glass doses of malted satan, and cia-approved setups for our contribution to the campaign of nicaraguan contras (aka the crack spots).
while this wasn't the most productive form of catharsis, southcentralites were reconciling some socioeconimic disparities the residents felt between themselves, the opressive overseers and the exploitative entrepreneurs.
there was an unstable solidarity in the air made manifest by the "yes we're open. and yes, we're black owned signs" that greeted patrons into store fronts.

the 1992 riots WERE necessary. contrary to belief, 51 people did not die because a lust to loot came across the residents. really ain't nothin to pillage outside of the pawn shops (which would be more like reposession) and the second hand department spots.
the lost angels were actuallly at a higher level of awareness at the time. crossing the color line was slightly safer as a result of gang truces.
the riots were an uprising (southcent is soweto). a reaction to a blatant reminder that we're are still seperate. still living under the code of isolates. aliens in the land of inalienable rights.

but in reaction lies the problem.

¿why never proaction?

¿why we always in need of a reminder?

¿when the epiphany reoccurs will we continue to voice our perturbation amonst ourselves? or are finally gon communicate (by any and all means necessary) wit our mute opposition?

*the preceding was just some reflective thoughts about an event that has left keloid scars on my homehood. take it as you may.*

-p'raverbs.

*****¡I AM! ¿ARE YOU?*****

"...there's one side of me that's totally for the preservation of black youth. ¿y'knowha'msayin? b'cause we're dyin at a rapid rate...i can't stand the ghetto. alotta rappers, y'know, they run around '¡yeah! ¡i'm ghetto!' ¿y'knowha'msayin? i live in the ghetto; the ghetto don't live in me. this is an ill situation. we have been put here for a cause."
-poor righteous teacher wise intelligent from "rhyme & reason".

okayp'raverbs. GIVING YOU TRUE TRUTH SINCE '82 TIL INFINITY.
8993, ^
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 06:05 AM
*****¡OKAYSOUTHPAWS!*****

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, and effa_mainstream did so you should too.

honorary "okaylefties" (the okayleftists): Kemet_Ibutho and Abbstrack.

"...there's one side of me that's totally for the preservation of black youth. ¿y'knowha'msayin? b'cause we're dyin at a rapid rate...i can't stand the ghetto. alotta rappers, y'know, they run around '¡yeah! ¡i'm ghetto!' ¿y'knowha'msayin? i live in the ghetto; the ghetto don't live in me. this is an ill situation. we have been put here for a cause."

8994, watch me up this until infinity.
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 11:23 AM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, and effa_mainstream did so you should too.

8995, (im reading, just not much to say..) nm
Posted by Federisco, Tue Feb-26-02 12:22 PM
you wrote it well and said much i didnt know - all ive seen about it before was a mediocre documentary. It is good to hear that they destroyed specially the shops that are dealing with what actually destroys the community
8996, just trying to balance the perception...
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 12:29 PM
it wasn't all good, nor all bad, but it was necessary.

8997, mh.. i can understand that/i feel what youre saying nm
Posted by Federisco, Tue Feb-26-02 12:34 PM

8998, and this here is part of any revolution, isnt it..
Posted by Federisco, Tue Feb-26-02 12:35 PM
>it wasn't all good, nor all
>bad, but it was necessary.
8999, that's what i see in the revolt...
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 12:49 PM
it hinted at an inhibited desire to really rebel.

my 10 year old self had the anxious feeling that the revolution was actually happening. i was excited that we were standing up against adam, but i was scared of the ramifications (lil' bro got shook when seeing the nat'l gaurd set up base wit their tanks at what was to be my highschool).

it was an emotional outburst. however deliberate it was in target, it was still not well executed.

9000, from the opening of "the coup"
Posted by standard deviant, Wed Feb-27-02 07:57 AM
by, of course, the Coup:

D: Well my name is Dick Doolittle and I'm a reporter from Grime magazine and we would like to comment on the tragic riots--
B: Not a riot, it's a rebellion
D: Well the tragic rebellion?
B: Man, tragic for who?
D: Well there's havoc in the streets, the police have lost control over the people, criminals are running free from jail, and people are actually taking property from big businesses, it's full of complete chaos
B: That's not chaos, that's progress

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech"--Being John Malkovich

"Killing fields need blood to graze the cash cow..."--Mos Def

"No matter how insane and dispicable you act, I can one up you, because I work for the government."--Million Dollar Hotel

"I'm not racist--I LOVE Hip-Hop."--DarkStar

"Ohhhh, I'll never be a Globetrotter. My life--and by extension everyone else's--is meaningless."--Bender

"big blak af is as serious as a heart attack wit prostate cancer! when coronary thrombosis needs an oncologist you know it's fa real!"
9001, i'm really curious...
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 08:22 AM
to hear what heads inside, but even more so outside of southcent felt was the significance of the unrest.

9002, really curious.
Posted by praverbs, Thu Feb-28-02 06:20 AM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD and 360sunsumyea did so you should too.

9003, this needs to be put to music.
Posted by el_rey, Tue Feb-26-02 11:31 AM
I can hear it now.

^

love and respect,
El Rey

SUPPORT GOOD MUSIC:
http://www.mp3.com/Esthetics

"Yo he preferido hablar a cosas
imposibles, porque de lo posible se
sabe demasiado." -- Silvio Rodriguez

"if jesus was alive today
he'd be incarcerated
with the rest of the brothers
while uh
the devil would have a great
apartment
on the upper east side
be a guest v.j.
on total request live" - Me'Shell
(god.fear.money)
9004, ¿you gon leave me hangin like that?
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 12:04 PM

9005, korean grocers
Posted by DonKnutts, Tue Feb-26-02 03:02 PM
didn't deserve all that.
9006, black folk neither...
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 04:25 PM
but it needed to be done.

9007, *stands and applauds*
Posted by WheatToast, Tue Feb-26-02 03:15 PM
I was in LA at the time and involved with much of the clean-up/ aftermath (with the AME and Stentorians) and have never heard or read something that I felt as much as I did this. Thanks for writing it, Pra.

Sig Sig Sputnik.....

I'll keep digging until I feel something
-Maynard James Keenan

I'll have you know I've misplaced my pants.
-Homer Simpson

wheat toast......you're wack.
-Aquaman

Don't need a Porsche.....got a big dick.
-my boss
9008, thanks.
Posted by praverbs, Tue Feb-26-02 09:21 PM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, and FrankieD did so you should too.

9009, from the suburbs
Posted by cindylu, Wed Feb-27-02 12:41 AM
I watched the insurrection on every news channel, 7, 11 and 4.

I really didn't understand what it was all about. My 11 year old self had only the newscasters and papers to inform me about why Korean business owners were arming themselves with semi-automatic weapons atop their liquor stores.

Later, I would study the events of April 1992 in a course of Collective Behavior and Social Movements. I wasn't there, but one thing I remember learning was that a large percentage (maybe half) of the arrests were Latinos.

I think I was going somewhere else with all of this, but I lost my train of thought.

|
9010, it would make sense since latinos comprised 40-50% of southcent at the time...
Posted by praverbs, Wed Feb-27-02 06:41 AM
i think latinos represent 50-60% (depending on the part of sc) of the population now.

blacks and browns call this home...we have the same concerns.

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, and FrankieD did so you should too.

9011, RE: it would make sense since latinos comprised 40-50% of southcent at the time...
Posted by standard deviant, Wed Feb-27-02 07:59 AM
yeah...but ask the average middle-american who was doing the shit, and they'll tell you black folks (even if you give them the option "latinos" they will likely NOT include them in the synopsis).

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech"--Being John Malkovich

"Killing fields need blood to graze the cash cow..."--Mos Def

"No matter how insane and dispicable you act, I can one up you, because I work for the government."--Million Dollar Hotel

"I'm not racist--I LOVE Hip-Hop."--DarkStar

"Ohhhh, I'll never be a Globetrotter. My life--and by extension everyone else's--is meaningless."--Bender

"big blak af is as serious as a heart attack wit prostate cancer! when coronary thrombosis needs an oncologist you know it's fa real!"
9012, that and the fact that 10 years ago the media acted like latinos ain't exist.
Posted by praverbs, Wed Feb-27-02 09:18 AM

9013, I think that's what I was getting at
Posted by cindylu, Wed Feb-27-02 11:55 AM
Your account of what you lived through was a very black thing. I understand why you wrote it like that, not criticizing or anything. I was just trying to get to the fact that a lot of times people ignore what happened to Latinos in the riots (arrests and deportations). I think a lot of it had to do with the portrayal of it in the media (ie Korean business owners on rooftops, and black men beating a white trucker nearly to death).

|
9014, it was a southcent "thing"...
Posted by praverbs, Wed Feb-27-02 12:08 PM
you gave it black connotation.

everything i said was recognizable by anyone who lived here (latinos here know crips and bloods, b/c some of them are respectively affiliated to one or the other, and the truce at the time; the "yes we're open..." signs were ubiquitous; most second, and up, generation latinos here use 'nigga' as a term of endearment).

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, and WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD and 360sunsumyea did so you should too.

9015, i do appreciate your perspective though...
Posted by praverbs, Wed Feb-27-02 08:16 PM
the suburbicarian view point intrigues me.

9016, Co-sign
Posted by Ronnie76er, Wed Feb-27-02 09:05 PM
That is absolutely true...

------------------------------------
"True hip-hop is just like the underground railroad, if the message is not for you, it could sit on your nose, and your brain remain froze" - Common's Pops

"Talk 'bout beautiful things a lil bit" - Bahamadia

Hit me up at AIM:
Ronnie76er
9017, ^
Posted by praverbs, Thu Feb-28-02 12:21 AM

9018, RE: unrest in retrospect.
Posted by Archaic, Thu Feb-28-02 08:46 AM
As much as I want to believe in the integrity of the rebellion, and I do believe that there were many who took part in a justified manner, I'm beginning to have trouble seeing it as any more than a manipulated event. The historical precedent of unrest was still fresh on everyone's minds, even fashionable. The CIA was pumping drugs and guns into the communities. Hateful gangsta rap was not only popular but somehow even sanctioned by bigwig corporations such as Time Warner, as if they were consciously wishing to incite hostilities. Then of course the Rodney King tape was used by CNN as the ultimate tool to push us all over the edge - to have even whites justifying a so-called black revolution. Once that fake-ass jury delivered their scripted verdict an uprising only made sense. But it wasn't progress, was it? It was for the most part merely chaos. Maybe that has something to do with 6 Naval ships just off of the coast that were pumping psi rays over the area. And it was really strange to watch the cops and the National Guard just stand back and let the pressure mount and then eventually subside like that. I've always known the nature of our law enforcement agencies to pounce on such situations. Anyway, along with y'all I am trying to do my best to perceive the rebellion as some sort of positive affair. At the very least the gang truce came out of it and hopefully cops around the world are now less likley to beat the shit out of us (yeah, right), but the apparent willingness of our government and corporate America to both help to incite and condone the rebellion gives me quite a suspicious feeling that I can't seem to shake...

9019, it was manipulation...
Posted by praverbs, Thu Feb-28-02 01:05 PM
hence me calling the unrest a reaction.

we need proaction.

there has been some postitives to come out of the riots: for example, dozens of liquor stores were burned down and not rebuilt.

it wasn't all good, but it wasn't all bad either. it was necessary, however. a proactive step is now needed.

btw, ¿didn't the gang truce precede the unrest?

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, and Gyrofrog did so you should too.

9020, ^
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 08:24 AM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog and dilatedpeoples36 did so you should too.

9021, whites
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-01-02 09:05 AM
there's very few articles out there talking about the small minority of whites that participated in some areas of los angeles, but apparently it did occur...and no i'm not counting the truck driver as "participating".

a. how do you feel about white folks participating on any level?

b. does anyone have any info concerning the white element?

--thepreacher
9022, there were some...
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 09:12 AM
i'ont know how i feel...it's kinda suspect.

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog and dilatedpeoples36 did so you should too.

9023, RE: there were some...
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-01-02 09:21 AM
"they said it was for the black man, and for the mexican, but not for the white man. if you look at the streets it wasn't about rodney king, it's about these fucked up situations and these fucked up police. it's about comin' up and stayin' on top and screamin' 187 on a motherfuckin' cop."

lyric from brad nowell of sublime, a now deceased white guy from long beach.

--thepreacher

9024, i said nothin about rodney king...
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 09:26 AM
this was about southcentral.

9025, RE: i said nothin about rodney king...
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-01-02 01:15 PM
i'm not arguing, just posting the quote for anyone who finds it interesting and/or upsetting.

--thepreacher
9026, my bad.
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 02:59 PM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog, dilatedpeoples36, and Nubienne did so you should too.

9027, I was in law school
Posted by janey, Fri Mar-01-02 03:37 PM
At USC. In South Central.

And I was so dismayed by the looting and burning of all of the small businesses in this area. You may or may not know that South Central has (or had at the time, I don't know about the statistics now) a higher percentage of home OWNERS (vs. renters) than Pasadena, a predominantly white, middle class city nearby. So I never was exactly clear who was driving the small businesses out of the neighborhood. It sure didn't seem to me to be serving the best interests of the neighborhood.

And posting signs that said "Black owned" didn't seem to make any difference.

And all of the corner stores that made their living on alcohol sales but which also provided necessities and staples to their little areas, things like diapers and milk, had to re-apply for alcohol sales permits and most were denied by the city. So that prevented them from going back into business, which meant that people can't shop in their close neighborhood for the things they need.

I agree that protests were necessary. I condemn violence, however, irrespective of who is committing the violence. And I wonder whether the homeowners of South Central feel as though they got anything out of the riots/uprising.

I was on law review and we did a special issue on the uprising/riots. Fascinating reading.

Peace.

Interested in meditation? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OkayDharma

May all beings be free from suffering.

May the merit of my meditation and any good acts I undertake be dedicated to the happiness and liberation of all beings.

9028, RE: I was in law school
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 03:50 PM
>At USC. In South Central.

i currently attend the university of south cent.

>And I was so dismayed by
>the looting and burning of
>all of the small businesses
>in this area. You
>may or may not know
>that South Central has (or
>had at the time, I
>don't know about the statistics
>now) a higher percentage of
>home OWNERS (vs. renters) than
>Pasadena, a predominantly white, middle
>class city nearby.

i'm not surprised. most people from my neighborhood (92 and western) have been living there for decades.

>So
>I never was exactly clear
>who was driving the small
>businesses out of the neighborhood.
> It sure didn't seem
>to me to be serving
>the best interests of the
>neighborhood.
>
>And posting signs that said "Black
>owned" didn't seem to make
>any difference.
>
>And all of the corner stores
>that made their living on
>alcohol sales but which also
>provided necessities and staples to
>their little areas, things like
>diapers and milk, had to
>re-apply for alcohol sales permits
>and most were denied by
>the city.

southcentral has more liquor stores than some states. those spots are not missed. we had quantity. we need quality.

>I agree that protests were necessary.
> I condemn violence, however,
>irrespective of who is committing
>the violence. And I
>wonder whether the homeowners of
>South Central feel as though
>they got anything out of
>the riots/uprising.

i'ont know...peace is nice, but wasn't any peace here...alot of the spots that got burned down were perpetuating violence.

once again, the uprising was reactive, which is why there were just as many negative consequences as positive. but it did tap into a potential resource, the anger which we've been misapplying all these years. although it was used in this case destructively it was refreshing for me to see folks mad instead of apathetic. now we just need to use that to our advantage.

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog, dilatedpeoples36, and Nubienne did so you should too.

9029, RE: I was in law school
Posted by janey, Fri Mar-01-02 04:15 PM
>i'ont know...peace is nice, but wasn't
>any peace here...alot of the
>spots that got burned down
>were perpetuating violence.

Black owned, mom & pop businesses? Remember that I saw before and after. If you're in college now, you couldn't have been more than 12 when this happened. Are you sure that neighborhood businesses were perpetuating violence?

now
>we just need to use
>that to our advantage.

Honestly, I think the momentum has died. And _reaction_ is never as productive as _action_, anyway.

Peace.

Interested in meditation? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OkayDharma

May all beings be free from suffering.

May the merit of my meditation and any good acts I undertake be dedicated to the happiness and liberation of all beings.

9030, RE: I was in law school
Posted by praverbs, Fri Mar-01-02 04:26 PM
>>i'ont know...peace is nice, but wasn't
>>any peace here...alot of the
>>spots that got burned down
>>were perpetuating violence.
>
>Black owned, mom & pop businesses?

most (not all) of the spots burned were not black owned.

> Remember that I saw
>before and after. If
>you're in college now, you
>couldn't have been more than
>12 when this happened.
>Are you sure that neighborhood
>businesses were perpetuating violence?

yes. liq's were crack spots and ho strolls. not to mention suppliers of the liquid evil that got the ganstosterone -(c) high noon- pumping in the veins of the round da way loc's.

>now
>>we just need to use
>>that to our advantage.
>
>Honestly, I think the momentum has
>died.

it has, unfortunately. folk feel confortable now. damn safety zones.

>And _reaction_ is
>never as productive as _action_,
>anyway.

that's what _i've_ been sayin. :-)

not all good. not all bad. necessary.

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog, dilatedpeoples36, Nubienne, and scorpion did so you should too.

9031, ^
Posted by praverbs, Mon Mar-04-02 08:11 AM

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw. HottLykeFiyah, Edoggy, seventy7, ChuckFoPrez, Slap, Jaymz, Live_n_Direct, pbun, BurbKnight, krosswordz, WuGambina, FunkyRenegade, Kijafa, Contagious, effa_mainstream, FrankieD, 360sunsumyea, Gyrofrog, dilatedpeoples36, Nubienne, scorpion, eliangonzales, king_beef, ashyknees, and AbdulJaleel did so you should too.

-inbox me if you're an okaysouthpaw appreciator. serpentinefire did so you should too.

okayp'raverbs. GIVING YOU TRUE TRUTH SINCE YOU LEARNEDED HOW TO READ.
9032, good post
Posted by jvictoria, Sun Mar-10-02 12:15 PM
good to hear your perspective on it as a person who was there

what do you think it accomplished, aside from the keloids on your homehood?

love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place ~ Zora