Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectA-Gikuyu
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8729&mesg_id=8933
8933, A-Gikuyu
Posted by Solarus, Wed Mar-13-02 04:30 AM
Muriega (Greetings)

The , a Bantu-speaking group, migrated to their present location about four centuries ago and are Kenya's largest ethnic group. According to tradition, the founder of the tribe was a man named Gikuyu. Ngai (the Divine Spirit) took him to the top of Kirinyaga and commanded him to establish his home there. Mumbi, his wife, was provided for him by Ngai, and they had nine daughters, from which the different principal clans originated.

Like many ethnic groups, the Gikuyu base their organization on the family unit (nyumba). Several families are combined to form a homestead (mucii), which is part of a sub-group (mbari). These make up the nine clans (muhiriga), which are the Achera, Agachiku, Airimu, Ambui, Angare, Anjiru, Angui, Aithaga, and Aitherandu. (A tenth clan is sometimes added, but only nine are counted as it is supposed to bring bad luck to count people, children, or livestock).

Youths who wished to become warriors (anake) had to undergo circumcision. Warriors graduated to the council of elders (kiama), of which a few composed the secret council (njama). The council settled disputes, with those that it could not resolve being determined by the ordeal of the hot knife (the extent of blistering on the tongue was then used to determine guilt or innocence) or, alternatively, by taking an oath on the githathi stone.

The Gikuyu were extremely successful in expanding throughout the area that is now the Central Province. This was achieved through a combination of purchases, blood-brotherhood, and intermarriage with the area's original inhabitants.

The Gikuyu are heavily agricultural, growing bananas, sugercane, arum lily, yams, beans, millet, maize, black beans and a variety of vegetables. While these form the basis of their diet, they also raise cattle which provide hides for bedding, sandels, and carrying straps. Sheep and goats are used for religious sacrifices and purification.

Pots are made by the Gikuyu for a variety of domestic uses, and were also used for barter in the past. Woven baskets and flat trays are made from a variety of fibers, and arrowheads, spears, swords, and other metal items were manufactured by blacksmiths.

thii na wega (goodbye
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.