Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectEsikongo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8729&mesg_id=8918
8918, Esikongo
Posted by Solarus, Fri Feb-15-02 05:15 AM
Kiambote kieno (Greetings)

The Esikongo (what they call themselves also known as the BaKongo (what "others" call them) inhabit the west-central portion of Afrika covering lands now know as Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo(Zaire) and the Republic of Congo. Generally the BaKongo lived along the Congo river and in the tropical forests surrounding the river. Generally they were farmers thriving off of the land but they also were avid hunters. Precolonial Bakongo societies were divided into clans within a kingdom. Also they were (are) a Bantu-speaking group thus have much in common (in terms of culture) with other Bantu-speaking groups such as the mentioned above.

Nsaala kiambote (Stay Well)
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.