Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectShona
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8729&mesg_id=8894
8894, Shona
Posted by Solarus, Wed Jan-30-02 04:07 AM
Tikukwazisei (May I greet you?/Greetings)

"The Shona make up three-quarters of the population of Zimbabwe, while the remaining southwestern portion of the country is primarily made up of the Nguni-speaking Ndebele (Murray 196). The country now known as Zimbabwe, constrained by the Zambezi river to the north, the Limpopo River to the south, the Eastern Highlands range to the east, and Botswana to the west, has been the home of the Shona for many years. In the twelfth century, Shona built in stone, during the thirteenth to fifteenth centuries, the kingdom of Great Zimbabwe emerged, during the mid-fifteenth century, the Munhumutapa(5) empire arose, and after this empire was overrun by the Changamire(6), hundreds of small Shona states became the primary form of political organization.

Beginning in 1890 and continuing until 1897, Cecil Rhodes's British South Africa Company (BSAC) colonized the area(7), and in May of 1895, the area officially became known as Rhodesia(8). After independence from British colonial rule in 1980, the country took its name from one of the greatest achievements in African history, a distinct part of its past. "Zimbabwe" means stone dwelling(9), and the great collection of huge stone walls and palaces built from twelve hundred to about fourteen-fifty AD became known as "Great Zimbabwe." The fact that the country took its name from a period in its past is important. It stresses the importance of their history and the people who came before them, their ancestors. Naming the country Zimbabwe was also afrocentric in that it emphasized their African past and not their white, colonial past. "

From site.

Sarai zvakanaka (Stay well)
solarICE

"So many of those who consider themselves Afrikan centered spend so much time on themselves that they forget that the primary role of the adult in our tradition was to raise the children to improve the society for their children."- Mwalimu Baruti

***Daily Affirmation***

i must be a warrior. i must be an Afrikan father. i must be self-full. i must challenge myself daily to grow, to love my people in and through action. To reflect that love at all times. To be optimistic. To know that victory is in front of US.