Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectBegging
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8729&mesg_id=8807
8807, Begging
Posted by Solarus, Wed Dec-12-01 05:02 AM
Tubasanyukidde

"Water that has been begged for does not quench the thirst."

Begging involves a lot of courage and perseverance, and it can take a while for the person who often begs or unduly asks for help to be given what he or she wants (so the energy it takes to beg could also have been used to do for self). Something that was begged for is likely to be limited, below what was required or unsatisfactory. Sometimes receivers may tend to exercise less care in utilizing things that were given to them free of charge.

This proverb is a warning against laziness and giving of those who choose not to do for themselves. People who work hard rather than habitually ask for favors turn out to achieve more and be more materially and psychologically contented than those who often look to be pitied and done favors.

This reminds me of the reparations argument: REPARATIONS COULD NEVER BE ENOUGH! Instead of asking for bread crumbs, Afrikans need to bake their own bread!

Mweraba
solarICE

"actually... one thing about Africa is that we don't have a problem with leaving some questions unanswered. we understand that life MUST have some mystery and romance..."- AFKAP_of_Darkness

"(Private property) it's a western european concept that has taken the world by storm."- k_orr

And one more thing:
I AM NOT UTAMAROHO AND HIS VIEWS DON'T NECESSARILY REFLECT MINE!!!