Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMoney and the Power...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8729&mesg_id=8745
8745, Money and the Power...
Posted by Solarus, Wed Dec-05-01 06:01 AM
Akwaaba

"...money and the power, I ain't goin broke cuz I got money and the power."- Geto Boys

As mentioned before the Ashanti was a confederation of Akan people with a highly structured political design. In order to maintain any large centralized cohesive society, a highly organized economical structure will be established. Therefore many Ashanti proverbs reflect issues of money and financial/political power.

"Hunger is felt by a slave and hunger is felt by a king."
Despite the differences among classes, all persons are still human and thereby have the same needs.

"When a good king has good counselors, his reign is peaceful."
A leadership role is not one independent from others. Many minds must work together to lead. This proverb is related to a previously stated proverb which probably also stems from the Ashanti: "One head does not constitute a Council."

"The poor man and the rich man do not play together."
The possession (or dispossession) of wealth often causes class differences. Considering the centralized structure of the Ashanti confederation this would have definitely reigned true but in more decentralized and stateless societies (e.g. Ibo, Kikuyu) this would not always be the case.

"One cannot both feast and become rich."
Establishing wealth takes alot of hard work and effort.

"When a man is wealthy, he may wear an old cloth."
I think this is related to the above. But it also implies that having material wealth is not something that needs to be publicly displayed.

"It is no shame at all to work for money."
Self-expanatory.

"Money is sharper than a sword."
Financial might is a greater source of power than is physical might.

"When you are rich, you are hated; when you are poor, you are despised."
Self-Explanatory. Reminds me of the Black Elite vs Black Poor argument.

SE wo werE fi na wosankofa a yenkyi.

Akoneaba ne agoro
solarICE

"actually... one thing about Africa is that we don't have a problem with leaving some questions unanswered. we understand that life MUST have some mystery and romance..."- AFKAP_of_Darkness

"(Private property) it's a western european concept that has taken the world by storm."- k_orr

And one more thing:
I AM NOT UTAMAROHO AND HIS VIEWS DON'T NECESSARILY REFLECT MINE!!!