Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Can Whites Be Rasta?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8650&mesg_id=8704
8704, RE: Can Whites Be Rasta?
Posted by TROM, Thu Mar-21-02 07:18 AM
W/ Rastafari you have three known sects or groups. You have the Bobo Dreads-they are the ones that you see with their heads wrapped in a turban and usually wear grabs. They great each other byt saying "Blessing my Lord" They believe in a holy trinity which is comprised of Haile Selassie, Prince Emanuel, And Marcus Garvey. Then You have The NYabinghi Theocratic Order of Rastafari. They believe soley in the divinity of Haile Selassie I. They have the strictest diet, and are the ones that you usually see drumming and chanting(called nyabinghi festivals). You're right about your research. Nyabinghi is a name taken from a warrior tribe in africa named after Queen Nyabinghi who lost her life in fighting off colonialist oppressors from europe. Nyabinghi rasta invoke that spirit and drive into their lives. Because biblically the Seat of David is the crown of the earth , rasta place Haile Selassie as earths rightful ruler. Also the head of the Nyabinghi. Bob Marly was a Nyabinghi, also Peter tosh and BUnny wailer. THen you have 12 tribes.... the are the most casual of them all. Some of them have been known to consume fish and chicken which is outlawed for nyabinghi and bobo dreads. They see Selassie I as a bIblical figure not as a messiah incarnate like the Nyabinghi or bobo dreadz. I have alot of family who live in the hills or by bullbay near the water in jamaica. It's a very natural life. Oftenb people look at the ways of rastafari and feel thats it's positive and it is. But that doesn't always reflect the individual who claiims ratsa as their way of life. You can read some books on it, but the best way to find out about rasta is to go to jamaica or shashamane ,e thiopia. Remeber that rastafari is an autonimous way of life and that everyone involved sets their own standards and disciplines. Like me I chose the strictest one which is nyabinghi. Oh you also have the ethiopian Federation which is another sect of rasta. THe heart of rasta is in Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox christianity(all of the bibles books including enoch and the apocrypha-maccabbees,etc). Hope I answered your questions.