Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectother thoughts/questions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8544&mesg_id=8634
8634, other thoughts/questions
Posted by somoney, Wed Apr-03-02 04:17 AM
-the west sucks idea: i don't know how/when people's thinking became so backwards about breastfeeding, but the key is not just education, it's like teaching common sense. and how do you do that? i've heard so many non fact based things like "you should not breastfeed if you child eats alot, they will be hungry" even someone on okp said they would not recommend breastfeeding if "your child eats as much as my son did..." not to call this okp out as much as this is something i hear often. if you have a hungry baby, feed it more... breast feeding is on demand... why do people think it is not enough?

-WIC/income: who is on WIC? what are the stats, like isn't it mostly teenage mothers/low income women? i mean income wise, i know i don't qualify... if you are speaking on teenage mothers, the problem with breastfeeding is the problem with pregnancy... if your body is not finished growing yet, your body is fighting with the baby for nutrients. if your breasts are still growing... that's just the physical (we no the mental is complicated). and low income women, if they are working full time pay check to pay check at let's say a factory job... when do they get to pump, or do they get to pump? do they even get paid maternity leave for the first months? also, WIC is realizing that it is perceived as a way to get free formula? they are not supposed to be about formula, but “healthy” eating...

-race/ethnicity/generations: of course this "reintroduction" of breastfeeding seems to be about marketing. it's being sold. like some people have to see things as trendy and such to follow through, and i guess if the ends justify the means... but should we change the minds of grandmothers who think you should give kids cereal when the are two months? many people are still operating on the "it worked for me..." stuff. gripe water and humphries #3? what about the wet nurse issues many of our black grandmothers still have?

-lifestyle: the all or nothing attitude? why breastfeed now only to feed your children meat and dairy later? why breastfeed if i'm not using cloth diapers? or breastfeeding is boho - i don't do yoga, so...? the key is breastfeeding is more than just "nutrition" it's about the overall health of mother and baby. and yeah, maybe breastfeeding (if not pregnancy) will lead you to eat and live "healthier." but if you are not ready...

______

"Money isn't real." - BLOW
______