Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectpresent the alternatives
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8544&mesg_id=8579
8579, present the alternatives
Posted by 360sunsumyea, Wed Apr-03-02 05:46 AM
and then let people decide.

>people get surgeries to correct their
>colon cancer...peopl get told they
>have high blood pressure..people are
>told that they need a
>spedcific surgery to remove a
>damaged organ... and all these
>people get the "fix" but
>don't make that change in
>the FUTURE.

>you might be an exception...

and that's what matters. the exception. unless you plan to move out of this country then you have to be knowledgable of the grossness AND of the exceptions. the people who choose to go another path. that way, when you deal with people who don't know any better (and not knowing any better includes people who do know of another way, but not how to apply it to their life) you can give them real life examples THAT THEY CAN RELATE TO of people who took another path, and that path has worked for them.

and if the only people you're around is gross peopple, then you should change your environment. casue you are not seeing the whole picture.

as far as breastfeeding, my suggestions have to do with my experience. what propmted me to breastfeed first and foremost was seeing other women breastfeed during the time i was pregnant. next, it was reading. i read everything. all the parenting/baby magazines, anything i could get my hands on. so i was well-versed on both sides of the breastfeeding argument, and when it came down to it, everyone agreed that breastfeeding was best. that wasn't the issue. the issue was how to do it when you have to work. or when you're out in public and there's no bathroom around. or where to go when you have problems with breastfeeding.

so perhaps that's what women are in need of. information. more access to support groups and literature that deals with breastfedding in this society that's not so "breasfeeding friendly" environment.

for you..i don't know. maybe oyu should go to a breastfeeding mothers support group or meeting and talk to them. find out why they chose it, what they had to deal with, and how they overcame that. that way, when you deal with moms who are contemplating it or even those who have ruled it out you can have some suggestions or resources to offer them instead of just being disgusted.

**********THE SIG**********

"Until you're truly ready to say fuck your fear, you are not alive..."
-Cee Lo 'Rollin'

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness, and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become legends."
-One Stab 'Legends of the Fall'