Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSomehow...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8479&mesg_id=8530
8530, Somehow...
Posted by Nettrice, Tue Apr-30-02 11:46 PM
...poverty got mixed up with race. That's what concerns me. If you had said Black=Promiscuity then I can understand the fuss. Your original post was poverty...

Where did race come into the discussion? I'll go back...

Anyway, race has little or nothing to do with sexual addiction. People are poor for many reasons and the expectation that poor people are more promiscuous reflects other folks' realities and indicates a growing divide between those who have certain opportunities and those who have not. In the end, it come down to expectations, how people behave because of expectations and how we are all conditioned to play these expectations out (self fulfilling propehcy).

People with feelings of low self worth don't often seek out contraception or safe sex. For these people sex replaces or becomes a purpose or defines their lifestyle. Sex can be a life affirming experience but addiction is something else.

"To be as good as someone else is no high ideal...I am myself." - Paul Robeson

!5{erience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave." - Roy in "Blade Runner"

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own."
--Paulo Coelho, "The Alchemist"

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix" (and a Buddhist philosophy)

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"