Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectlemme put it this way
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8479&mesg_id=8497
8497, lemme put it this way
Posted by johnny_domino, Tue Apr-30-02 04:28 PM
yeah, some poor kids will overcome the bad schools and general lack of opportunities available to them. And yeah, some rich kids will just not care and manage to screw up the ample opportunities that are given to them to succeed. There are exceptions to the rule, and it's obviously not random chance that causes them to buck the odds, there are a lot of great success stories. But by and large, social mobility in America is not nearly as those who want to preserve the status quo would have you believe. And I'm not saying you're advocating that either, I'm just saying that I don't think rich kids are born smarter, or more ambitious, they just are socialized into it, and given more opportunities to maximize their potential, while most poor kids aren't. This is sorta a post jack I guess, and there are elements of race and class tied up in this. But well, I can just envision somebody like Milton Friedman talking about how inheriting wealth is just like inheriting a great voice or somesuch. Being born into a well-off family confers a whole bunch of advantages, some that are recognized, some that aren't, but they add up to a tremendous advantage for those who are born wealthy over those who are born poor.

Nasty like the freaky deaky at your local sleazy speakeasy - MF Doom