Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThis made me think....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8479&mesg_id=8493
8493, This made me think....
Posted by Mizzery, Thu May-02-02 03:40 AM
>less likely to have an abortion

--I'd like to see statistics on how many teenage girls of all cultures are GETTING pregnant, not just how many give birth. I bet the rates are almost the same, but white girls find ways to have abortions. I can name 4 girls (white) that I know off the top of my head that have had abortions, and those are just ones I went to high school with. But I cannot name even one black (or Mexican or Puerto Rican or Chinese or anything) girl I know that had an abortion. Maybe this makes no sense to anyone else, but seeing that line above just really made me think.

--I think this whole discussion just reinforces the fact that the US NEEDS national healthcare for everyone.

--And Bush needs to get off his conservative protestant high horse and just admit that what the country needs is sex education and contraceptives, because teenagers ARE having sex, and as much as that scares everyone, if they're going to do it, do it right. But that goes back to the old issue of giving out condoms in high school. Condoms don't promote sex among teenagers. If you're not having sex, getting a free condom is not going to make you have sex. If you are having sex, a condom is going to (if used properly) prevent diseases and pregnancy (in most cases). I mean, I've been out at concerts and shows and been given free condoms. Did I think "Wow!! A free condom. Hmmm...who's looks good to me tonight?" NO.

--Sorry, I went on longer about this issue than I meant to, and didn't read all the replies, so if I just repeated something said further down, sorry. But Bush really steams me up.

Mizzery

"There is only one race, and that is the Human Race. Everything else is culture."-James Olmos

AIM: Mizz1825