Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: okayactivist reading list
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8392&mesg_id=8402
8402, RE: okayactivist reading list
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Oct-12-00 07:03 AM
did anyone mention june jordan? or bell hooks? gotta read bell hooks.

did sonia sanchez write anything about history? i saw her speak the other night. every other time i saw her she was performing poetry, but this time she talked a lot about history and activism. i had no idea she knew so much or that she taught black history classes. she is real, though. and so is bell hooks.

leroi jones/ amiri baraka is an interesting one to read because he doesn't agree with himself on a lot of past things. but he is an incredible writer (man, EVERYTHING he writes is influenced by his poetry) and the overwhelming values of his ideas stay fairly consistent. and he is dedicated and strong minded.

but read these and make sure, this is what sonia was saying, that you know the history or the context around the book when you read it. you have to understand each book within it's own time and understand how THESE BOOKS WERE REVOLUTIONARY. the sould of black folks came out at a time when people said black people HAD NO SOULS. it was REVOLUTIONARY!!