Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectintegrity and hip-hop
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8338
8338, integrity and hip-hop
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:25 AM
http://www.snicka.com/realaudio/june02/Nasdisseshot97_Dcaf.ram

8339, damn...couldn't open it.
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 02:32 AM
oh well.
8340, it's
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:34 AM
nas's radio phone-call explaining what happened between him and hot 97

in short, he got booted from the summerjam to big up jay-z, so he exposes them for their payoffs n sht
8341, and to prove his point:
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:32 AM
think of how many damn times the radio plays "pass the couvaseeeyay!"

i mean please, i'm SURE that is not a well requested song

i heard somepleace that he turned down the mcdonald's gig cuz he didn't wanna be marketing junk food to black people

8342, talib is my savior...
Posted by Utamaroho, Thu Jun-27-02 02:33 AM
i'd die for him...
8343, well then
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:35 AM
wouldn't U be HIS savior?

why get it twisted?

8344, remember:
Posted by Utamaroho, Thu Jun-27-02 02:41 AM
"God is good, me love God, God love me. God will take care of me, Jesus love me too, I will repent all my sins and give me to Jesus, Jesus will take me to heaven with him. Jesus loves me, me good. Me give money to church, church good. Pastor needs new car, Jesus loves me, Jesus loves pastor. Jesus is God, jesus is son of God, Jesus is father of god, me confused now. Me go to sleep now, me need nap, me brain tired. -Christians"
-ish_skywalker
8345, meaning...
Posted by Utamaroho, Thu Jun-27-02 02:46 AM
i would die rather than renounce him...

anyone who says anything bad about him will feel the wrath of god.
8346, talib
Posted by northsidehoney33, Thu Jun-27-02 04:04 AM
is corny.
8347, that CD has never really
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 02:38 AM
left my rotation, it an black star are in the changer NOW. The man is on point. K.O.S dammit.
8348, wow
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:39 AM
those two and black on both sides are probably my most-listened cd's BUT they gotta cycle out sumtimes or i would go batty
8349, what am i SAYING
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:41 AM
of course, # 1 is always I-testament (Capleton)...........
and royal son of ethiopia (sizzla) makes it in there a lot......

a screw it. never mind.
8350, Funny thing is
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 02:51 AM
Even with a JA background...i don't get into dancehall much. I like reggae abit more. Beres Hammond is soothing. As far as "jazz" I like Gil Scott Heron too.
8351, soothing
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:56 AM
= barrington levy :)

jazz is difficult for me. i love the vocalists, but i gotta be in the mood for the instrumentalists. and, to be an absolute poetic heretic, most of the gil scot i've heard, he just sounds drunk.

i heard as much gospel as reggae in ja.........
8352, yeah man
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 03:00 AM
Barrington is the shit...mostly I just thief my folks old albums though they got all the old marley joints (they just don't sound the same on cd), and burning spear, all that shit.

As for Gil..I love that cat. It's what he's talking about-you can feel that it means alot to him. Jazz is my first love, I really couldn't imagine life without it.
8353, the old marley joints
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 03:03 AM
yeh i feel that

that scratchy record feel

"i play your favorite song DARlin"

or that friday song of levy's on record

8354, And the bass
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 03:04 AM
The cd's don't bump like the records...I always thought they remastered them so white folks could feel it. (not meaning to offend anyone).
8355, no sense
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 03:05 AM
in digitally remastering songs that give u that comforting fuzzy feel

it's like colorizing old movies

i have hendrix' band of gypsies on vinyl. that's my most prized record.
8356, True
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 03:13 AM
true dat...
8357, Gil
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 02:59 AM
Whoa! ya'll can't no nothin' about Gil Scott-Heron that's the G.O.A.T. fuck the other shit.
8358, The black star has
Posted by FireBrand, Thu Jun-27-02 02:46 AM
come out, but Kweli is either in my car, or my changer. It's taken a beating.
8359, Big ups to Nas
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 02:44 AM
First of all, I would like to thank you for putting this on post. Cuz a brotha in Nashville ain't got access to such truth. As you see there ain't too much integrity in hip hop. brothas sell their souls like it ain't shit. Nas held no punches and said fuck the establishment, which takes some real love. Yo, all folk make mistakes, but don't be a slave...Nas gets much love from me.

"I don't deal too much with the abstract/cuz too many brothas use that to disguise with they lack/while others feel the void with a cadillac" -Sa Ra Soul
8360, the cool thing is
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:46 AM
he got a big name AND maintained sum integrity

not like the roots and that coke fiasco
;)

heheheh

:)

8361, RE: the cool thing is
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 02:56 AM
I feel you, half the okayplayers scared to put that out there, like the roots can do no wrong. Call a spade a spade...stop kissin' up...it's okay to tell big stars we're their wrong at.
8362, there was this
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 03:01 AM
worst roots decision poll on the artistboard. it was amazing to see how many people defended sum legitimately bad decisions

there was also a blackthought and nas beef. remember that? where nas called out the roots on hot97?

i think the real question is- is it possible to be a successful hip-hopper without sacrificing ur idealism?
8363, Answer
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 04:08 AM
I think it is possible to be successful in hip hop without sacrificing idealism....if not...is it really success. All depends on how you measure it.
8364, if so
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 04:11 AM
then it's really too bad that so few people step up to it and so many people run from it

i donno people seem to get so selfish along the way like it's an either or or sumthin.

so where did nas come from? how did he do it? did he sell out at some point too?
8365, RE: if so
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 04:37 AM
Nas definitely battled the commercial bug, but what he just did and has been doing for a while now has obsolved him. We all fall short.
8366, how do u think
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 04:41 AM
the impact of this act will compare to the impact of industry-calling-out songs?

i've been thinking about those songs a lot lately
seems every "conscious" mc has one
so what do they add up to?

what does this add up to?
8367, my answer
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 04:45 AM
this sht happened on the radio

those songs don't

pure and simple
8368, listened again
Posted by Ras_child, Thu Jun-27-02 02:54 AM
I just listened to Nas speak again, and realized that this MAN came at a lot of people bad...but in the same breath let me say that I believe he was completely justified in doing so. "Rappers are slaves". The thing is...I don't think he's even trying to beef, he just wants cats to step up their game. Yo, he challenged every rapper out there to be about something...this iced out shit is played out. Rappers that really had something going for them (ie NORE) have sold out big time, and if these rappers are real men, they won't come back mad at Nas they'll simply heed his warning.
8369, didn't sound like beef to me
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 02:57 AM
he said it in anger & maybe sum vindictiveness, but he was straight about it & he made sum good points
8370, RE: Nas is the man
Posted by jenNjuice, Thu Jun-27-02 04:46 AM
i just finished it, and all i must say as that nigga speaks the truth, he aint hold shit back, and he was on some straight calling out names to that fat fuck flex (don't let flex dictate to you what's REAL hip hop) to that corny puerto rican bitch angia martinez

word up to that

mo'fos put hot97 on a pedastool-and now the truth is out, always new they was grimey
8371, RE: integrity and hip-hop
Posted by wonluv, Thu Jun-27-02 03:00 AM
can someone post this in mp3 or post the text? i can't open it...

thnx
8372, u might
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jun-27-02 03:04 AM
find one in the lesson, where there are many many posts on this