Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGinger Beer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=8204&mesg_id=8226
8226, Ginger Beer
Posted by FireBrand, Fri Jun-28-02 08:33 AM
Ginger Beer

makes 8 servings
1/2 lb ginger root, grated
1/2 gallon boiling water
2 cups brown sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 gallon of cool tap water
Additional sugar to taste

In a half gallon crock, jar, or bottle, combine ginger, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup sugar. Pour 1/2 gallon boiling water over this and let stand 12 to 24 hours. Strain into a one gallon glass or ceramic jar, and add another 1/2 gallon of water, and sweeten to taste.

Instead of sugar, 1/2 cup of licorice root, simmered for 20 minutes in 2 cups water, can be added to the ginger, lemon juice, and boiling water. Proceed as above. The licorice adds an anise flavoring and natural, sugar-free, non-caloric sweetness to the spicy ginger flavor. Licorice root for tea is available at natural foods' markets and is packaged under the brand name "Seelect"

Sparkling Beverage: 4 tablespoons yeast (1 tablespoon per quart) dissolved 10 minutes in 1/4 cup lukewarm water (110oF to 115oF). The yeast should be bubbly and increased in volume-- otherwise, discard and use a new batch of yeast. Add the yeast mixture to the ginger mixture. Stir thoroughly. Cover the container with foil or plastic wrap and let it stand for in a warm, draft-free place to ferment one week. Stir every other day. Strain through a sieve and transfer to a glass or ceramic bottle. Cork tightly and let ferment at room temperature for another 3 or 4 days. Serve chilled over ice cubes.

"Let's get this clear right now...I'm poor. I'm lonely. I'm a revolutionary without a revolution. And I'm four months behind on a car payment." Professor Griff

" If we can't learn to live together despite the turmoil of past generations we are doomed." -Stern

"And where today is the stable community that would sustain such a couple, where one can be both poor and diginified and raise one's children with decency and hope... If the answer is education, does our society adequateley provide that tool of self-improvement to the less well off?"-- Sidney Poitier

" I'm not mad 'cus I'm losing! I'm mad 'cus I don't know how to win!" --Kevin Curtis Daniels Jr.

"And herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor,-all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked,-who is good? Not that men are ignorant, -what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men."
W.E.B. Dubois