Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What is meant by
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8157
8157, RE: What is meant by
Posted by nighttripper, Wed Jul-10-02 02:40 AM
>"cultured"?
>
>I have a hint of what you mean but I'm askin' anyways.
>

I mean, Europeans make fun of Americans because, as a whole, the level of education is superior here than in the US. There are economic reasons for that, namely the fact that superior education isn't as expensive. But the main reason is that the US are very self-centered as a country. They don't give a fuck about anything that happens outside.

With all that said, I'm having all those convos above, because I share the exasperation of some Americans to hear snobbish European intellectuals make these claims while not producing anything worthwhile since...Proust, maybe? Whereas there has definitely been an interesting American litterature in the 20th century.

>The word "cultured" asserts that Europeans have superior
>knowledge and refined tastes in relation to _______. This is
>the root of eurocentrism.

If your _______ is supposed to replace "Non Whites" or "Black People" like I guess it is, then you did indeed totally miss my point. Europeans, when they're bad-mouthing uncultured Americans, don't think of Black people at all. They think George W Bush. Or Sylvester Stallone. Or movies like Independance Day.

I can't really blame them for criticizing these, but what do we have to be proud of in our current cultural production, and who among our current politicians, is the questions they should ask themselves before doing so.