Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectcontrary to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8059
8059, contrary to
Posted by nighttripper, Mon Jul-08-02 04:55 AM
popular belief (corporate-sponsored more than poular, actually), there's no such thing as "Europeans". America, as far as its political system is concerned, is not the child of "Europe", it's the child of the UK (the system was made for WASPs by WASPs). And "Europe" didn't invent capitalism, England did. Not that the other countries didn't follow...

As for high-browed Europeans clowning Americans for their lack of culture, which is their (our) main point of contention...well, when I remember this interview of ten candidates to the Democratic investiture in 88 or so, and not one of them being able to name three European capitals, I can't help but think they (we) got a point. But most of the times, I consider those rants to be just what they are, the bitter complaint of losers. "Yeah, you kick our collective ass left and right and there's nothing we can do about it, but we're more CULTURED. So there!"