Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti think
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8033
8033, i think
Posted by Federisco, Tue Jul-09-02 01:14 PM
i think the root of the misunderstanding is that europe's racism is different from USAs. Racism and "fear of things foreign" in USA seem more institutionalized and generally more widespread.. something that isn't talked about, but everybody knows about, and many (including many of the european immigrants) benefit from it. One example of that is how in USA, your race ("black"/"white".. "poor"/"rich") often determines your social level(?) much more than it is in Europe

I think (as an european who's now been both in the north and the south) that Europe's racism is in most cases (not all, but most) more located within the authorities and the politics. Not as much within everyday life and business life in a _widespread_ way as it is in USA --- instead, socially, it is more located within certain groups.

"Fear of foreigners", however, is becoming more widespread, fuelled by certain types of politicians. I think this movement (le pen-style) i making western europe (and then probably eastern europe along with it) more the way it is in USA. (But that's another post.....)