Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti think
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8020
8020, i think
Posted by guerilla_love, Mon Jul-15-02 01:16 AM
we do agree, we're just standing at different angles to the same beast (so to speak)

in america there is a stereotype that most violent crimes are committed by young black men, so much of the work of crime prevention and law enforcement is focused accordingly. anybody who is not a young black man can get out of an accusation, for the most part. and people feel justified in suspecting all young black men of being criminals.

it's really very hard to see. many of the crimes that send poor people to prison for many years of their youth are committed just as frequently by richer kids, but the richer kids are considered to be "just going through a phase"

yes, america is the more recent and most readily identifiable culture, and u could call the mix an american subculture. russian americans and russians, for example, share the same history, but not the same current culture

was i destined to marry a brown man? not necessarily. i am very sensitive to words that come from white mouths- i get offended very easily and tend to judge most white americans as ignorant and disgusting. but i do know a few white (actually, european) men that i could see myself with had i not been married already.

actually, in truth, i am very strict in my politics and few people can fit in my scope enuf to get along on an extended basis. my husband is the perfect mix for me because he shares most of my views, but comes at them from a completely different perspective/history/culture, so we can learn/grow/develop a lot from each other.