Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNot really...this is a bit long, bear with me.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8007
8007, Not really...this is a bit long, bear with me.
Posted by FireBrand, Mon Jul-08-02 09:36 AM
Although I see what you are saying. This could mean that there are just multiple definitions. That's not necessarily bad per se.
It's hard to give anyone a label, because there are so many factors that go into making us who we are, but to deny that there aren't a set of core values would be crazy.

Allow me to use an illustration that really isn't entirelly topical, but it can help define the scope of convo:

Take three women.

1. One is a 35 year old scotch-irish red head born and raised in savannah, Ga- living in Marietta, Georgia who is widowed with 3 children. She has a bit of Polish on her dad's side, but they were from chicago, so they didn't see them much, but her mom's side fought in every major American war.

2. 18 Year old College student from Macon, Georgia attending the University of Ga. Her parents are both from North Carolina, she has Jewish ancestry, but they are Southern thru and thru. They no longer go to temple on Friday or Saturday, and she is a former cheerleader for her highschool.

3. A 65 year old Southern Belle from Alabama. She comes from a rich French family down by Biloxi, and her late husband owned many assetts. She is a sweet old lady with a rustic southern charm and wit.

...Now let's take these three ladies, have them meet at a Georgia Bulldog football booster's meeting, and then again in a Grocery store in Athens, Ga. If you saw these ladies walking along talking and having a grand ole time- wouldn't you think they were family? Well, if you could mistake them for family-don't you think they can be classified as a somewhat homogenous culture?

They are alike because they are white, and from the south. I seen it a dozen times.

" If we can't learn to live together despite the turmoil of past generations we are doomed." -Stern

"And where today is the stable community that would sustain such a couple, where one can be both poor and diginified and raise one's children with decency and hope... If the answer is education, does our society adequateley provide that tool of self-improvement to the less well off?"-- Sidney Poitier

" I'm not mad 'cus I'm losing! I'm mad 'cus I don't know how to win!" --Kevin Curtis Daniels Jr.

"And herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor,-all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked,-who is good? Not that men are ignorant, -what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men."
W.E.B. Dubois