Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI see why you say what you say
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=8003
8003, I see why you say what you say
Posted by Federisco, Tue Jul-09-02 12:43 PM
but, since USA is an eclectic shallow mix of world cultures combined with an eurocentric glaze(!!), it is impossible to avoid generalizing (as it is always when you try to find the charectaristics of cultures anyways). If you don't want to go with the generalization, you would have to focus on the diversity of the different cultures instead, which i think you try to do(?). But I think that for example the irish pub-drinkers and the polish polka-dancers and the italian pizza restaurant owners honestly aren't very connected to their true roots all that much, they are often living up to stereotypes and sometimes so much that they end up as parodies. (I can say that for my own people, too: norwegians in USA... those who were born and raised in USA and still stick to their roots can be crazy... insane.. just insane)

i agree with firebrand.... the common eurocentric glaze is so present in all american subcultures that it is the best characterization to use.