Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: whites vs europeans
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7971&mesg_id=7982
7982, RE: whites vs europeans
Posted by drapetomaniac, Wed Jul-10-02 07:49 PM
>>are they? i'd like to see some figures. i know that a
>>tremendous amount of emigration comes from eastern europe.
>
>One of the reasons why I made post 107. I'm far more
>concerned with the discrimination of non-Europeans.

ok, but i'm not sure that your original remark about most immigration being people of color is true. it may be, but i'm not sure that it is. so i'm not sure you're right to say "Y'all don't want any immigrants because y'all scared that they're gonna dilute the white population." there was a just a movie at the human rights watch festival about discrimination against pourtugese in france, for example, and i know that eastern european immigrants are treated pretty badly in western europe. so i question those comments.

>>The need to impose one's culture over
>>>another is a European invention.
>>
>>is it? from when?
>
>Well...since the start of European civilization, Europeans
>felt the need to go into foreign lands to spread their
>"civilized" ways.

when was the start of european civilization? and when did europeans think of themselves as civilized and needing to go to foreign lands to spread this civilization?

i suspect that it's in fact a back-formation. i'm only familiar with a few cases (eg pourtugese/angola, british/india) but the notion of a civilizing mission came long after the initial encounter during the Age of Exploration, and after the balance of power was decisively in favor of europeans. and this long, long, long after a) the birth of european civilization, and b) engagements with the non-european world.

>I mean really...why is it that Van Gogh, Bodacelli, Voltaire
>and Beethoven is common knowledge to East Asians, Latin
>Americans and all other groups but Europeans don't have the
>same mutual respect of other cultures? The
>respect/admiration is one-sided.

i don't know if botticelli is common knowledge in east asia, but i would also point out that in fact there has been a tremendous amount of western study of the non-western world. think about napoleon in egypt or richard burton or the asiatic society or max muller. i know, i know, you're going to quote edward said at me, but the point is that the respect, admiration and interest existed.

and i'll also point out that today, you and i *and the local peoples* know about angkor wat, khajuraho or the cave paintings in north africa bc of western inquiry/research.

i'll skip the obvious examples of picasso and whistler and talk about me. i'm only research-level literate in english and maybe french. i've never completely read a grown up book in a non-western language, even when i lived in the third world. every single thing i know about trade btw axum and india or cambodian sculpture or the great monuments of zimbabwe, i had the chance to learn bc of a long history of western interest in the non-western world. the reason i know the names of say, Ibn Khaldun, Murasaki Shikibu and Bhaskara is bc some YT was interested before me.