Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectTo all Big 3'ers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7959
7959, To all Big 3'ers
Posted by Solarus, Thu Jun-27-02 05:09 AM
All hope is not lost. For religion-friendly martial arts, here's a few that are independent of needing to be whitewashed and stripped down of its original intent:

Boxing- although its a sport its origins lie in self-defense, if you study boxing make sure your teacher knows your intent for it so you don't waste time learning boxing rule gibberish.

Olympic wrestling- same as boxing and again make sure your teacher knows you reasons for studying it.

American Kickboxing- Pretty much extraction from most Asian martial arts for aerobic and self-defense usage.

Savate- French kickboxing art that was developed in 1830s supposedly by French sailors. However i must say that man of the modern savate practitioners have STOLEN for asian systems (and afrikan for that matter) and called it savate. One idiot devil cat tried to say it was the origins of capoeira but that is rubbish. He was a capoeirista who was French so he tried the old "yt-take-credit-for-shit-he-didn't-do" routine.

Krav Maga- Self-defense system developed specifically for the Israeli military. Pretty much extractions and combinations of stuff from other systems, but oh well.

Muslim stuff- I don't know of any systems specifically CREATED by Muslims but there are plenty of systems practiced by peoples who BECAME muslims. And I'm not talking about some fake-me-out karate either. Stickfighting styles are well-known throughout Afrika and Arabia. There is kayti stidckfighting in Kenya. Swordplay would also be something to look out for amongst arabs. I don't know of any open-hand stuff other some sort of grappling/wrestling system which is also pretty common. Knifefighting, too.

In general the best route to go for religious-friendly stuff is to look for modern and traditional MILITARY combat systems as they tend to not focus on the "other stuff" as much (but definitely not all of the time.