Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7919
7919, !
Posted by Solarus, Fri Jun-28-02 07:47 AM
"Developed by slaves and kept secret disguised by music to make it look like a dance."

This shows you know NOTHING of capoeira. Europeans THOUGHT it was a "dance" because of the movements done in conjunction with music. However the music was done INDEPENDENT of the need to "hide" the art from Europeans. Deception was there indeed but the music plays a much more vital role.

"Plus not to mention that most of west Africa were muslim populated."

BS statement. That is a REAL joke. GIVE ME THE NUMBERS.

>Give me the numbers. The fact is MOST of africans that were
>taken by Portegues were from Angola. Granted some were
>Yuroba but most were not. The cultures that contributed to
>capoeira are varied however it isn't solely by Yuroba and
>their religious practices.

Never did i say it was SOLELY by Yoruba. In fact my post suggested that the majority of them were from "Angola" (i.e. central west coast Afrika). I said specifically that the ORISHAS are what were held over from the yoruba. Read again:

"Enslaved Afrikans from the West Coast of AFrika were brought to Brazil by the Portuguese. Some were Yoruba, some were Kikongo, some were Mbundu, some were Akan, etc. However the largest concentration of Afrikans in Brazil came from Central West Coast Afrika because of the Portuguese foothold there. Til this day the country of Angola is the only AFrikan country whose official language is Portuguese."

>The point is to learn this system is not dependent upon ones
>religious practices. Capoeira is a fighting system that is
>influenced by cultures not religions.

The "religious" practices indigenous to Afrika are ALL "cultural." Islam is NOT indigenous to Afrika. Furthermore the point i made in my initial post is that in a big 3'er (in your case Muslim) practicing capoeira is HARAM! Capoeira praises the ancestors, Earth and ORISHAS!