Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Was all that necessary?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7914
7914, RE: Was all that necessary?
Posted by kemetian, Wed Jul-17-02 04:10 PM
>I am not going into christianity, or judiasm...but please
>tell me how its against islam to learn a martial art...or
>name a martial art who's philosophy goeas against islam so
>there fore its in the mudwanna, or ihya, or any collection
>of volumes of islamic law...

well the ppl writing islamic law would've had to have been aware of the different arts to put them specifically in there wouldn't they? come now this is a most unreasonable request. you want Solarus to show u an ayat that was revealed to muhammad saying Tai chi is forbidden?

or tell me of a martial art who
>said their practice is exclusive to people of a certain
>religion (

he never suggested that. the argument isn't that martial arts excludes ppl, it's that perhaps religions may exclude some types of martial arts. i remember doing yoga and my teacher coming back from a retreat and saying she could no longer teach yoga as just an exercise, b/c it wasn't. from then on, she talked more about acknowledging the Divine w/in us, and saying prayers at the end of the session, (i usually fell asleep in relaxation pose, so i missed most of it). but according to my knowledge, according to Islam, ppl are not divine. Allah is divine. so the question then becomes, is it not a little compromising if i am a muslim and i do yoga, or Tai Chi which both do not include a concept of God that is compatible with islam. another e.g. in yoga we do Sun salutations. now it is haram to do prayer when the sun is at its peak or when it is setting or when it is rising, lest it look like one were worshipping the sun. a muslim would then have to ask him/herself, what is the purpose of the poses. i would think the same for capoeira. if embedded in the movements is veneration of orisha, wouldn't that be compromising for 1 who belonged to one of the big 3?

i saw a site where a Christian was telling African americans not to practise Kwanzaa, b/c Karenga, speaks of living according to Maat and not depending on Christ our lord and savior. he saw a conflict in that, as well he probably should.

it's very hard isn't it? not being able to be your Self...