Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Was all that necessary?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7912
7912, RE: Was all that necessary?
Posted by Humzaki, Wed Jul-17-02 03:27 PM
Few points:
>-I never said Yoruba was the sole influence on the evolution of capoeira.

Could have sworn you did, but I don't feel like going through these threads just to prove where you did. It is fruitless.

>-Yoruba is the name of a group of people in the land now called Nigeria. It refers to a culture whose people have many religious practices.

Exactly. Okay he sees the light. And guess what? One of the culture's religions was Islam.

>-The people of Yoruba CAN practice many faiths as the cultural and indigenous religious philosophies are very exclusive.

I am glad you gave them permission. Cause for a while there I thought you never would.

>-I never said non-Afrikans, non-Nigerians, non-Brazilians, kwk. could not practice capoeira and for that matter any person practicing any martial system >foreign to their cultural.

>- I said simply that Islam, Judaism and Christianity have specific elements (rules) that teach against specific elements in various combative systems. >THEREFORE practicing a said combative system could potentially be going against the doctrine's teachings. It seems other muslims agreed with me on this >and in fact since you mentioned Sudan, the traditional wrestling of the Nuba people has been banned by the primarily Islamic government. Hmmmm...

Okay no that is not ALL you said. What you said was that for a muslim to practice capoeira was haram. When I told that no according to Islam it is not and the possibility of it breaking our "doctrine's teachings" you went to try to prove how it was with you minute knowledge of Islam. Let me explain to you that for one to make a statement that such and such is haram or such and such is halal is called a fatwa, a ruling. You do not have such authority to do so.

Next, I don't think you understand that the shari'a (divine law)is not established ANYWHERE on this planet called earth. The last caliph died with the end of the Ottoman empire. There isn't a nation that follows Islamic law to the letter the way it is clearly outlined and should be followed. So in referance to your example with the wrestling I think you need to examine the reasons behind the ban.

As far as christianity and judaism I don't have a clue as to what their laws are.
So as far as Islam is concerned: Please explain what "specific elements" in Islam you are refering to that goes against "specific elements in various combative systems?"
Like what?

Peace
H