Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAye Ya Yay!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7905
7905, Aye Ya Yay!
Posted by Solarus, Fri Jul-12-02 09:27 AM
>My point is that many cultures helped the development of
>that art. Not just the Yuroba which is by the way a tribe
>which included muslims, that due to these muslims, most of
>what we know of this tribe was documented by these muslims.

First of all you need to check your reading comprehension. I NEVER said the Yoruba were the only AFrikan culture to help development the art. Many AFrikans contributed, primarily though, central AFrikan Bantus (Kikongo, Mbundu, kwk.). I only said that the spiritual component draws heavily from the Yoruba.

Second of all, "most of what we know of this tribe was documented by these muslims" this is HOGWASH. Most of the LIES that we know of the Yoruba NATION is spread by muslims. Especially the LIE that the ancestor Odudawa, was exiled from Mecca by Muhammad because of his idolatrous teachings and then he came to Yorubaland. Most of what we know of the Yoruba comes from the ORAL HISTORY!

>The fact is that just because some may believe that orishas
>help strengthen the practice capoeira does not make the
>practice of it by a muslim haram for he doesn't believe that
>it is strengthen by multiple gods but by One God. A muslim
>MUST seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave and even if
>it is as far as China as Muhammed SAWS has told us. We are
>to take the good thereof and leave the rest. A muslim would
>learn the various forms and stances and leave that multiple
>god stuff alone. What they use to explain through various
>gods a muslim explain with the conviction of One.

Third, orishas do not equal "multiple g.o.d.'s."

Fourth, if you take the orishas out of capoeira, then it is no longer capoeira. Mestre Bimba tried to do just that in creating capoeira regional. He took the tradition from the art. In doing so, capoeira regional evolved into flowery fluff that looks nice but isn't truly effective in the real world. Angoleros kill regional capoeiristas on the regular.