Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: silly post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7887&mesg_id=7903
7903, RE: silly post
Posted by THE TROLL UNDER THE BRIDGE, Fri Jul-12-02 02:35 PM
oooook, I am glad you see how silly this entire post is. The only way it could be right, is if everything came from a vacum. Everything finds its roots somewhere. If you practice any martial art, its not incumbent on you to have to practice its proposed "religion". The proof is in the puddin'. Think like this, how many people who practice (or even practiced) karate, the thai arts, kung fu (gung fo), bushido, tae kwan do, or even jeet kun do, practice the original religion of the founder? Name a few, capoera is the weakest example because of all the brazilians I ever met....none knew anything of Yuroban culture. The presumption one can make based on your statement(s), is that the brazilians of today cannot practice capoera (which is theirs) because they dont share the same religious practices as their presumed ancestors (funny...most brasilian slaves werent Nigerian in the first place...but ill go along with it).

Next, sad to say my friend..but you dont seem to know about islam much. Using the disposition of Catholicism or any other religion towards erudite practices of other peoples is not islam. Ill give an example. Islam enters the Maghrib (west). Spreads into Andalousia(iberia), and with it comes across the books of the "learned" greek/romans (whateva that means). Instead of burning them ect, they open them and add them to the archives in Baghdad, and eventually Andalousia becomes a center of learning rivaled only by the Sokoto/Songhai (West Africa) and Baghdad. Without boring you further, the plague ravishes Europe in the middle ages..but Spain is basically untouched because of their understanding of hygene, and medicine (from the romans->greeks->egyptians->kush->blah blah blah). Islam was never in the mood to destroy or uproot other peoples cultures. One of the few exceptions was Persia and Egypt (who was part of Byzantium). In all 4 Madhabs (the 4 schools of sunni theology)..its clearly outlined that if the people arent in violation of the sunnah leave them alone, collect the jizyah (tax), but leave them alone. Al Kuds, Andalousia, Indonesia, Xian China, and the Indus (untul the Mogul empire, but they were indians attacking indians), were all basically untouched. Many Were invites ALfonso X of one of the spanish city states invited the Syrians (Tariq and co.). Later the Syrians invited the Murabits (moors) of the Songhai, Sudanita wasnt Queen yet. In other words the cultures were basically left intact..unlike the theory of the Christianity, which left no book unburned if it didnt agree with its Aristotelian doctrine. Shifa Yuroba is a good book on this. A Fulani muslim doesnt dress like a Chinese one.

Last, If you like Capoera ill never tell you you have to be Yuroban. If you like the Thai Arts you dont have to be Bhuddist. You like (enjoy) Capitalism (the religion of the west) but you arent a W.A.S.P. Remember the Chinese Bhuddists Practiced Kung foo with the Confucian (later, more political than religious) ones. Their Art was never disdained because they werent bhuddist. What about the Xian? They were Bhuddist till Kublai Khan, they cant be Masters of Foo? I want you to go there and tell them that 1000 years of their favored religous practices need to be shunned because they arent allowed to defend themselves with their 3000 year old fighting style...i see no correlation. Since you seem intelligent..i doubt you see any correlation either.