Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Music, Television, and Your Children
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7823&mesg_id=7886
7886, RE: Music, Television, and Your Children
Posted by Monique, Thu Jul-18-02 10:46 AM
Within reason I intentionally exposed my children to the good,bad of life.

When my youngest son was born,I always sat him beside classical music,or instrumental Jazz,which left him quite calm.Otherwise I am not one to play the radio,but they watch BET~MTV,other.
One day I found my son watching the animal,medical channel,I said ok now,he said see and u thought I just watch BET/MTV.
AVID fan of Emeril Lagasse the cook master and he will get in the kitchen whipp up some healthy meals.

That same son I covered his eyes for pg-13 movies when younger,age 9,public boobs,main attraction for him.

But,both children ended up listening to allll rap~hip-hop as they got older,we were away at work,whatever because they are old enough to be alone.
That I deemed negative they had to turn it off.
Now,one heavily into the blues,the other gospel.

Many 13 year olds in the family have gravatated to the blues,almost leaving pop,hip-hop behind.

Videos,my children watch,because they go to the beach and watch Reality Video in thong bikinis,almost no bikini,.ss hanginn out ,folks cuddling....they running back, forth,mama look!And we talk.

Now,living in the hood where all music is played,television atched,it is a quiet summer in part because no children are running wild,for they are in Mentoring programs with access to school work,arts,crafts,swimming,Bible School,computers,games,more!

Somewhat sheltered the children as very young,however oh the stories from Lil Johnny'sss houses,so I stopped the sheltering,they watched,I graphically taught and they are doing well.
Don't learn it from home,they will from that other house,public.