Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectVideo Games Killed the adventurous child.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7823&mesg_id=7880
7880, Video Games Killed the adventurous child.....
Posted by ladyboss08, Wed Jul-10-02 04:20 AM
and I'll say so until the day i die. Technology is killing our kid's spirit. Kids are not outside anymore- they're in the house playing Grand Theft Auto.

While I'm all for kids learning how to operate computers and the freedom of speech and expression on our tv sets, ultimately it's up to the parents to monitor thier kids. When I was a kid the last day of school was also the last day of cable. My mom turned our cable off every summer on the last day of school. She told us we had to either read or play outside. She made us read books and write small reports on them. She taught us black history at home too. She worked 2 jobs, so I know it's possible to spend more time with your kids...

What would happen if you just turned your cable off for a few months? The problem is- the parents aren't willing to make that sacrifice either. They let that television become the babysitter for their child and then complain about the content. I'm frankly sick of parents wanting to censor the tv. If you don't like what's coming on- TURN IT OFF! Can you imagine the kind of changes that might be brought about if we simply turned it off?

Sadly, my younger sisters (7 and 11) won't have the same kinds of memories I have of my youth. They won't remember having kickball games that went until midnight, double-dutch contests, snowball fights and fortresses, bike races, walking to the swimming pool, roller skating, all day hide-n-go-seek games etc...

I've been trying to figure out what happened. It's not just the video games and television... It's our neighborhoods. When I was younger- we knew EVERYONE on the block. My mom was on a first name basis with all my friends parents. There was never a fear about sending your kids outside alone. My friends got beating when I got beatings. They stayed the night at my house and they're parents never had to worry. Now- no one feels like it's ok to let their kids run around the neighborhood and just be kids. It's not safe anymore....It's sad and I don't even know where to begin in the correction of this dilemna....