Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMusic, Television, and Your Children
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7823&mesg_id=7823
7823, Music, Television, and Your Children
Posted by Invisible-Genius, Wed Jul-10-02 02:50 AM
I was a teenager when 'I wanna Sex you up' was a really racy song. I was in elementary school when Madonna's 'Like a Virgin' was on tv and my mother wouldn't let me watch it. My parents wouldn't let me and my brother watch Purple Rain because it was Rated R (of course we found a way). So, in a time when they have 'It's Getting Hot in Herre' playing on every radio station and video is in heavy rotation, how do you monitor your kids? Or how do you think kids should be monitored? Even a couple of weeks ago, as I watched NYLA on BET at 8:00 p.m., I was repulsed by the scene of shaking asses on the screen from a bathing suit contest held in Texas. Women bending over shacking their asses, and BET's camera man was more than happy to catch each and every jiggle.

Do you think that music, television, just pop culture as a whole is creating 'out of control' children? Is it appropriate for a 7 year old to watch 106 & Park? Do you change the radio station when you hear anything that might be inappropriate for a 10 year to listen to? It is understandable that you can't not watch a child's every move, but by you letting that child know what YOU think is acceptable, isn't that setting a standard for your children?

I'm not a parent, but I am very much aware of the things that children are being exposed to on an every day basis. If I cringe at something, then I know it's not appropriate for a 7 year old to see or hear. But that would eliminate so many things.

So my question is what do you do, if anything, to make sure that your children are not exposed to inappropriate things in music and on television?