Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectarticle's done.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7720&mesg_id=7772
7772, article's done.
Posted by poetx, Mon Jul-08-02 06:33 AM
on its way to copy. let me know what you think. (i'm kinda like, 'eh', cuz i didn't have space to go deep into things like i wanted, but i view it more as a point of departure for future exploration.

---------------

Lookin' Out

The Sankofa bird, an icon of the Akan people of West Africa, is depicted as flying while
facing the opposite direction, symbolizing the importance of looking backward to move
forward--or, more colloquially, the need for a people to understand where they've been in
order to understand where they're going. Black folk have got the "looking back' part on lock."
We've had to fight to reclaim our history, our heritage, our birthright and realize that an
understanding of our past is crucial if we're going to improve our current conditions.
But where is the vision that takes our present conditions as a starting point, and says, "If
we had to do it ALL by ourselves, where could we, should we be in five years, 10, 20, 30--a
century?" What changes and trends are on the horizon, and what can we do in the present to
position ourselves for where we want to be in the future?

The thing is, black folk have existed for the vast majority of our history in this country as
"invisible men" in the Ralph Ellison sense. That legacy tends to exempt us from being
considered as "invisible men" in the H.G. Wells sense. That is to say, we've been absent until
very recently from America's collective imagination of an idealized future. Or worse, we're
projected forward as a threat -- the '*moor*locks' to their 'eloi'.

With an nod to our past struggles, we must stake out our seats at the lunch counters of the
future before they're even built. To do so, we need to cultivate black futurists--visionaries
who can look at where society's been, where it is, and extrapolate where it's going. More
importantly, we need to provide ways for them to share their insights with the broader
community: parents, teachers, students, activists, clergy, workers, businesspeople--basically
everyone whose actions today will help shape the future.

As a step in that direction, here are some thoughts on a few areas of focus that will be
critical to our collective prospect.

-- *What's New?*

Within the last five years, in particular, rapid technological change has profoundly impacted
our lives. The proliferation of the Internet and cell phones has brought sweeping changes in
how we communicate--changes we're still trying to understand. I can and do converse regularly
with folks from across the globe, from Boston to Belgium, New York to New Zealand, Georgia to
Ghana, holding discussions in real time that would have taken weeks (and a fortune in stamps)
only a decade ago. As a side effect of the Internet, the dot-coms were a brief yet fierce
tidal wave in the pool of the global economy, lifting some boats and blowing others out of the
water.

What will be the next big technological advance, and will it be to our benefit or detriment?
One topic that has gotten our attention is the so-called "digital divide." Think of the
"divide" as compound interest on past and present social inequality--as economic disparity
translates into gaps in resources and access to technology that are disproportionately leaving
blacks and other minority communities behind on the Information Superhighway.
There are scores of committees, programs and coalitions actively working to close the gap.
Among their strategies are efforts to increase our children's preparedness through more
exposure to math and science in the schools, and projects aimed at putting more computers in
schools, libraries and other public facilities. The success of these efforts will depend
largely upon the abilities of those combating the problems to maintain broad participation and
to directly engage those whom they are trying to serve.

On a related note, one exciting developments around the problem of access to technology is
unfolding in San Francisco and other communities. Some very smart people, using very cheap
materials (literally tin cans and tin foil) have found a way to share wireless, broadband
Internet connections with entire neighborhoods. While this is upsetting ("awwwwwww") to the
giant telecommunications companies-- essentially one person can pay the $49.95 per month for
cable or DSL connectivity while the whole 'hood logs in simultaneously--it has tremendous
potential to expand access in poorer communities.

There's a lot more on the horizon besides the evolution of the World Wide Web. For instance,
the impending "cashless society" is a particularly worrisome double-edged sword for
communities of color. On one hand, we may not be able to fully participate, meaning we'll be
locked out of growing segments of the digital economy. This isn't a far-fetched prediction
considering we've historically been underserved by existing financial institutions (i.e. a
lotta folk gotta go to the check cashin' spot and don't have credit).

On the other hand, if we all do get issued our "smart cards," we'll have to carefully guard
against the prospects for abuse by an ever more zealous and powerful national security
apparatus. This is only common sense, considering that as a group, we've been
disproportionately made targets of law enforcement profiling, be it for so-called "street
crime" or the well-documented U.S. government monitoring and destabilization efforts against
black political groups.

Three years ago, after reading about microchips being used to identify pets in the United
Kingdom, I predicted that it was only a matter of time before some "get tough" lawmaker
proposed they be used on inmates, the homeless or other "marginal" elements. Recently, I read
where a man in Florida with a rare medical condition voluntarily had himself and his family
"chipped." The clock is ticking on wider applications. When these new technologies emerge, we
need to have folks who can spot the potential problems or at least, provide early warnings.

--*Help Wanted*

Folks have been saying for years now that the old "sweat of our brow" jobs are going
away-quickly. Any economic development efforts we undertake must take that into consideration.
Everyone playing a part in preparing young people for careers (and that number should include
almost all of us) need to realize that the work and business worlds are moving targets, and we
need to aim for where the target will be as opposed to where it is right now.

I have an uncle, a computer programmer who's a contractor for the Federal Aviation
Administration, who saw this writing on the wall years ago. He'd been an excellent car
mechanic, but tired of the dirty fingernails, went to night school and persisted until he got
his bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science. Having thumbed, dumbfounded, through
a few automotive repair manuals, I can vouch that the complexity of an engine appears as
daunting as any program or system I've encountered in the IT world. The thing is, had my uncle
stayed an automotive technician, he'd have had to learn computers to be able to work on new
cars that now require specialized and expensive computers to "diagnose" engine trouble.
We can no longer view technical training as an educational "bonus," to be enjoyed only by
those who demonstrate sufficient mastery of the three Rs. So much discussion of education as
preparation for future employment focuses these days on minimum competencies when in reality,
we need to be emphasizing maximum competencies. We must change our thinking until we regard
instruction in math and science as an essential component of every child's education.
As a people, we must also make ownership a primary goal. The marriage of employee and employer
ain't what it used to be. In fact, the arrangement is getting downright temporary, with
long-term employees becoming an increasing rarity. In addition to working 9 to whatever,
workers nowadays must manage their careers and retirement accounts and hope they don't get
RIF'd, downsized, streamlined or (insert other bloodless, economic euphemism) to help the good
ol' economy weather tough times.

We need to encourage entrepreneurship, even within the traditional workplace. And we need to
take the same mindset in our communities, emphasizing and instilling the values of ownership
to create a foundation of wealth with which to finance a black future.
I've noticed a lot of folks from my generation (early to mid 30's) getting into "ownership" by
rehabbing houses, buying up investment property. As cities become vogue again and the "urban
renewal" cycles of past generations repeat themselves, I find this emerging black ownership
movement an interesting counterpoint to gentrification. Time will tell whether these efforts
prevent future generations from walking through parts of their towns, as we do now in
Baltimore and Boston, pointing at million-dollar homes and saying, "Black people used to own
this whole neighborhood before it was condemned and rebuilt for the affluent."

--*Leadership*

This is truly an area where the Sankofa concept is indispensable. The last five decades for
Africans in America and throughout the rest of the Diaspora, should be a stark and tragic
warning against over reliance on hierarchical, charismatic leadership. Malcolm X. Martin
Luther King. Patrice Lumumba. When so much of the energy and vision of a people, a movement,
is embodied in one person, it is far too tempting for the powers that be to prevent them from
living to continue their work, unhindered.

If we are to have effective leadership in the future, we must run away from the "all eggs in
one basket" approach we've favored for so long. To do this, we have to change the way we think
of leadership, steering clear of the idea of "anointed ones" toward the notion that we all
have the potential to be leaders, and that those qualities of leadership must be identified
and cultivated within all of us.

All of our institutions must serve this end. Our churches, political and civic groups,
recreational groups, schools, and any other place where masses of us congregate must have the
development of future black leadership as an additional goal. And those of us in traditional
leadership positions must actively recruit and mentor helpers and replacements, as opposed to
a lot of old guard leaders who get into power and convince themselves that they are the only
person for the job.

"Each One Teach One" is zero population growth, and no longer good enough to sustain a black
future. These days, Each One Needs to Teach Many.

peace & blessings,

x.