Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectyou do that, too (10 books...)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7720&mesg_id=7754
7754, you do that, too (10 books...)
Posted by poetx, Tue Jul-16-02 04:02 AM

>i've read some anthropological work (mostly diop...i plan to
>find other good authors when i finish the other 10 books i'm
>reading...lol)

we'll have to list them separately -- i'm reading two by Amos Wilson (on psychological dev't of the black child, etc), 2 by Charles Finch (echoes... and on on african math & science), some s.f. (collection of stories based on asimov's 'i robot'), some terry pratchett, some financial stuff (Rich Dad, Poor Dad), and a bunch of other inexplicable shit is on deck (Dancing Wu Li Masters). occasionally i have bursts of reading and finish a couple and replace them on the list with others.

which Diop are you reading? first chapter or two (civ. or barb, af origins...) are ALWAYS tough w/ him as he goes through the anthropological ish -- but its the burden/curse of black scholarship to necessarily err on the side of being exhaustive and hyper-rigorous.

*not that its a bad thing, but we have to expend so much effort in making the works bulletproof, that it can detract from the readability. for that reason, if i'm trying to put somebody else on, i'll give 'em Anthony Browder's "Nile Valley Contributions To Civilization" which still cites Diop and several other credible authors and researchers, but which is written in a plainer, more accessible style

u find the same to be the case?

peace & blessings,

x.