Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectgood post. this gets WAY too little burn
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7330&mesg_id=7403
7403, good post. this gets WAY too little burn
Posted by poetx, Sat Sep-21-02 05:52 AM
in our political discourse. even if one discounts the racial/ethnic/religious angle, the situation would be tragic. i find it hard to believe that there is no truth to all of the horrendous stories that have been coming out of Sudan for years.

Sudan is a blind spot, in particular, for african americans/blacks/negroes whatevah, that identify with Islam. and the sad part is that it need not be. just as christians need to condemn the excesses and horrors that have been committed in the name of *their* religion, so too, do muslims and jews need to address the sins of their own misled (or just plain evil) brothers in the faith. gender-specific language is intentional, here, as its men, by-and-large, who are responsible for most of this shit.

if you are for freedom, justice and equality, you have to be for that everywhere, and use the same yardstick.

if half of the stuff which has been reported from Sudan is true, than it's way worse than afghanistan. point is, though, there's no oil in Sudan, so even though the Sudanese government probably exemplifies all of the characteristics that our hypocritical-ass government would have you think that they oppose, there has been no discussion of it and certainly no visible attempts to help those who are suffering. and by the way, it must make christians feel good to go there and fight and struggle against the muslim influence, and counteract those atrocities... as if these actions (however necessary), could atone for christendom's raping of mother africa and her children, and the post-colonial nightmare they've left for the rest of the continent.

i will read up more on this situation and attempt to find some objective sources (amnesty international, un human rights commission. -- i know that's no guarantee of objectivity, but i would expect them to have less of an agenda than an overtly christian or islamic information source).

beyond that, this issue seems provocative due to the fact that you have the whole arab v. african thing, slavery, etc. however, there are also atrocities going on in a number of other places on the continent, like sierra leone and liberia, where there's less ideological or racial distinction between the combatants, but no less strife and calamity.

thanks Kemetian, for posting this, and to yaShetgo for the additional info. i will pray for this sister and all of Sudan.

peace & blessings,

x