Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMi Reflecciones
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7321
7321, Mi Reflecciones
Posted by Solarus, Fri Sep-27-02 07:06 AM
I'm finally getting some time to do this. It's been almost a month since I've been back. Damn time flies. Anyways I wanted to take this time to post my thoughts and answer the questions put forward to me earlier. First I will answer the questions:

1)what is the main lesson you learned while living in Panama while you did?

Afrikans in America need to take advantage of resources here. Economic opportunites here seem alot more vast after experiencing a place where one can't even get a job cleaning toilets because of competition. Also Afrikans here need to realize that AFrikans around the WORLD are watching them and what is done here does influence and have an effect on others.

2)What is the current situation of the african presence there?

No jobs, need money. As far as cultural retentions...

Los Chombos (West Indian Blacks)- many are becoming more indoctrinated into the mainstream Panama society (physically as well as culturally) or leaving to go to America or place with more economic opportunities and thus losing their cultural identities. On the same token because of isolation and (physical and cultural) segregation in some parts (eg. Paraiso, many parts of Colon), they are maintaining their West Indian roots and with that subsequent Afrikan cultural retentions.

Los Congos-
Many Congos try to leave their homes along the Caribbean Coast and go where better economic opportunities are and thus have begun to leave their traditions. However because of the profitability and general Panamanian desire to showcase its "cultural diversity," it seems their is a resurging interest in preserving a specifically Congo identity.

3)What would be an important role that those africans in Panama would play in the future liberation of and reclamation of african peole and ways?

Good question. It's hard to answer but the most I could say is by identifying the USEFUL Afrikan cultural retentions that they have maintained in their daily routines (knowledge and use of herbs, family structures, music, dance, combatives?) and exposing them for their historical significance and future applicability.

4)Did you get a bout it machete?

I got three machetes but I wasn't able to find one of those handcrafted "traditional" joints like I wanted. But as far as usability goes, it suits me fine.

One thing that I realized while i was there is that "gringo" does not simply mean "white american" but is more specifically an "American citizen." My aunt and uncle were "gringos" because they both had american citizenships despite the fact that they were born Panamanians. Black Americans are sometimes called "gringo morenos" or "gringo negros" because all to often the gringos that are most often identified are white.

I didn't master Spanish but if i was there for one more month I know I would have gotten it. And I definitely will have to get it as i plan to go back but next time I want to talk to more elders wherever I go (but especially amongst the Congos). The next time I go I want to stay in Colon for a spell because Panama Province was way too Americanized for my taste. Too many McDonalds take away for one's uniqueness in my book. Plus Panama Province is a little too polluted for my tastes. The government does know the meaning of emissions tests.

The government down there is shit and the foreign movers and shakers need to be taken out.

Oh well... that's life.

I'm done.