Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMis Aventuras...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=7173&mesg_id=7307
7307, Mis Aventuras...
Posted by Solarus, Wed Sep-11-02 04:05 PM
Parte 3: El Ultimo Dia

The last day of my stay in Portobelo had finally arrived for my stay in Portobelo, and in all honesty, I was eager to get back to Panama Province. I was eager for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is that I was pretty much out of funds. Another is that my mind was on getting back to the states as I had an unsettling feeling that was missing something at school as that same week I was in Portobelo was the first week of school (it turns out I was right). However the main reason is that I had found Portobelo to be somewhat depressing.

Since my stay I surrounded myself with "the people." In doing so, I was able to see firsthand the amount of poverty that from which they were suffering. Overall it strengthen my resolve and understanding that Afrikans in America (i.e. people of Afrikan descent in America, be they WEst Indians, continental Afrikans, African AMerican, etc.) must carry the torch to help and nuture Afrikan communities worldwide. The fact is there really are TOO MANY opportunities for Afrikans in America NOT to take advantage of the situation and be in a possession to help the rest of us. America is fat off the blood of other nations. It's time for us to start giving back and in more ways than just money.

After going to see Victor one last time, he decided to see me away. I gave him a few dollars so he could get some breakfast. We waited and the bus stop and talked. We talked the lack of jobs available and how he has went everywhere in Panama to find them. He claims that it is even harder because he is black, and the cholos and chinos don't like giving blacks jobs. He said that some days he considers suicide because he sees no reason to live such an impoverished life and suffer so much.

I can't say how relieved I was when the bus finally came. We said our heartfelt goodbyes and I was gone just as quickly as I came. I told him I would be back someday. And that is a promise I intend to keep.

Fin